Clovelly Transportation Tips by johngayton
Clovelly Transportation: 3 reviews and 5 photos
Land Rover Picking Up At Bottom
Clovelly is a totally car free village and to get up and down the High Street you have no option but to walk. The High Street is only about 800 metres in length but drops 400 metres in elevation over that length and so even walking down requires a bit of careful footwork on the sometimes slippery pebble cobbling. Walking up however requires a seriously robust cardio-vascular system (not to mention a decent pair of legs - HA but that's another story ;)).
If you don't fancy the walk up though, there is a seasonal Land Rover service which will take you back up the hill via the service road that loops round the village from the Red Lion Hotel back up to the Visitor Centre. The Land Rovers seat (if I remember correctly) 6 people and don't run to any schedule as such, merely departing when they have a fullish load. At the time of writing this costs 2 GBP for the full journey and I GBP to the White Rails. The White Rails being the entry point to the top of the High Street.
Catching the 319 at Bideford
The village of Clovelly is situated on the western curve of Bideford Bay here in North Devon and is about a mile or so off the main A39 road (known locally as The Atlantic Highway) with the junction being at Clovelly Cross.
To get to the village by public transport there is a 4 times a day bus service from Barnstaple, run by Stagecoach - the 319 service to Hartland. This is very much a local service winding its way digressingly along The Atlantic Highway through Bideford and then visits the intermediate villages of Abbotsham and the interestingly named Woolfardisworthy (simple called Woolsery!). This is quite a pleasant bus journey provided time is not of essence as the journey from Barnstaple to Clovelly takes about 70 minutes to cover the 20 miles as the bus meanders through the undulating North Devon lushness, catching occasional glimpses of the Atlantic Ocean as it does so.
Because the service is a rural one the fares are subsidised by Devon County Council and hence are quite reasonable. The best ticket option is the North Devon "Dayrider" making the return fare from Barnstaple a mere 3.20 GBP and the ticket is valid for all local Stagecoach services for that day.
Other Contact: www.travelinesw.com
More Reviews (18)
- See All For Your Traditional Devon Cream Tea!
- See All Last, But Definitely Not Least - Go For...
- Admission Charges (and how to avoid...
johngayton's Related Pages
Clovelly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GEM of NORTH DEVON"
- "Clovelly - Another North Devon Time Warp"
- "Impossibly picturesque village of Clovelly!"
- "Quaint village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Clovelly
- Hotels in Clovelly
- Transportation in Clovelly
- Restaurants in Clovelly
- Shopping in Clovelly
- Warnings and Dangers in Clovelly
- See All...
Explore the World
- Loch Fad Hotels
- Burnley Hotels
- San Juanillo Hotels
- Bhola Hotels
- Mountain Home
- Milton Keynes
Badges & Stats in Clovelly
- 20 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (106)
Have you been to Clovelly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clovelly
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Would YOU be missed?"
- updated a Clovelly Travel Page "Clovelly - Another North Devon Time Warp"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Clovelly - Another North Devon Time Warp"
- Wrote a Review For Your Traditional Devon Cream Tea! in Clovelly Restaurants
- Commented on one of bugalugs's Clovelly travel pages
Photos in ClovellySee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 63 reviews, 270 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos