Clovelly Favorite Tips by johngayton
Clovelly Favorites: 2 reviews and 5 photos
Current Admission Charges (July 20080
Favorite thing: Because the village as a whole is effectively a museum-piece all the repairs and maintenance are carried out to very strict criteria using only traditional materials which require skilled crafts people. Thus the village is quite expensive to upkeep and visitors are charged an admission fee which goes towards this upkeep.
The admission fee (currently 5.50 GBP) includes parking, entry to the visitor centre with its displays as well as admission to the village and its little heritage museums. In my opinion, whilst this may seem quite a steep fee, this is something that everyone should pay especially when using the parking and other facilities.
Having said that tho' there is actually no necessity to pay for admission as the service road which skirts the village going down to the harbour is in fact a public highway and maintained by the local council. Not only that but the village is actually on the Southwest Coastal Path. And so if you arrive on foot or by public transport you can walk down this road to enter the village at the "White Rails", the path from which leads to the top end of the High Street.
OK, so having avoided the admission charge you really should still contribute something to the village and in my case this involves having a couple (or three) beers at The Red Lion, the profits from which go to the Estate Trust anyway. Thus your conscience is salved!
More Reviews (19)
- See All For Your Traditional Devon Cream Tea!
- See All Last, But Definitely Not Least - Go For...
- Wear Sensible Shoes!
johngayton's Related Pages
Clovelly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GEM of NORTH DEVON"
- "Clovelly - Another North Devon Time Warp"
- "Impossibly picturesque village of Clovelly!"
- "Quaint village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Clovelly
- Hotels in Clovelly
- Transportation in Clovelly
- Restaurants in Clovelly
- Shopping in Clovelly
- Warnings and Dangers in Clovelly
- See All...
Explore the World
- Estepona Hotels
- Dalton Hotels
- Norritonville Hotels
- La Castellana Hotels
- Hurricane Mills
Badges & Stats in Clovelly
- 20 Reviews
- 41 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Clovelly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Clovelly
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- updated a Clovelly Travel Page "Clovelly - Another North Devon Time Warp"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Clovelly - Another North Devon Time Warp"
- Wrote a Review For Your Traditional Devon Cream Tea! in Clovelly Restaurants
- Commented on one of bugalugs's Clovelly travel pages
Photos in ClovellySee All Photos (41)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 170 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos