"Ideal For A Day At The Seaside..." Exmouth by johngayton
Exmouth Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 56 photos
Exmouth, as the name would suggest, is situated at the mouth of the river Exe where it meets the English Channel. The seafront here offers something for everyone.
In the space of two miles you start with the working harbour, and its marina, followed by a short stretch of rocky shoreline, which is popular with those in practice for the World Crabbing Championship. Then there's a mile, or so, of family-friendly beach with areas designated for bathing, water sports and dog-friendly sections. After a short section of sand dunes you reach the start point of the spectacular 95 miles of the World Heritage Jurrasic Coast.
Running parallel to the seafront is a pleasant paved promenade with immaculate kept gardens, plenty of cafes and restaurants, a couple of pubs and family amusements parks and play areas.
The town takes particular pride in its parks, gardens and other horticultural displays with the local Town Council, the East Devon County Council and many local businesses colourfully contributing to the effort. As a result Exmouth has, for several years, been awarded top accolades in its class in just about every "In Bloom" competition in the South West as well as National awards.
As with the beach, there's something for everyone here in the attractively presented town centre. There's the usual shops and banks, a lot of individual family-run specialist shops and an indoor market. There's plenty of pubs, cafes, restaurants and takeaways covering all tastes and budgets. Accommodation ranges from out-of-town campsites to centrally-located upmarket hotels, with pretty much everything in between. For rainy day things to do (which aren't pubs!) there's a town centre cinema, The Pavillion Theatre, a sports centre (with swimming pool), internet access at the local library and a couple of little museums and galleries.
- Pros:Stunning Estuary Location
- Cons:Drunks On the Streets Late At Night (ME!)
- In a nutshell:Even When It Gets Busy It's Still Quiet!
Exmouth is now one of the termini of the recently developed (and still under construction) Exe Estuary Trail which is a... more travel advice
Unfortunately when I lived and worked here it was the middle of winter and so never did get a chance to take any of the... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Exmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Enchanting Exmouth"
- "Ideal For A Day At The Seaside..."
- "Home ~ For Now!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Exmouth
- Hotels in Exmouth
- Transportation in Exmouth
- Restaurants in Exmouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Exmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Exmouth
- 14 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Exmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Exmouth
Photos in ExmouthSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 64 reviews, 275 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos