"Much Improved Since My Last Visit" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilfracombe by johngayton
Ilfracombe Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 130 photos
Previous to this visit my last visit to Ilfracombe was in the late 90's and I wasn't impressed with the place. Everything was run-down, the hotels were shabby and uninviting, the pubs were dingy and not particularly friendly and the harbour and beach areas were litter-strewn. The town seemed more of a cheap tacky resort where the only thing to do was visit its garishly lit and noisy amusement arcades and feed the slot machines.
This visit however (June 2009) has impressed me. It's like a different town. Everywhere has had a lick of paint, there's no litter, the pubs are friendly and inviting, the hotels, guest houses and other accomodations have taken a step upmarket and even the amusement arcades, although still there, seem to have toned themselves down.
UPDATE Nov 2012 - Now that I'm here on Lundy it looks like I'll be a regular visitor for the forseeable future - at least during the boat season.
Arriving by bus I found the bus station still a bit shabby and lacking in facilities, but shabby in a greyish utilitarian manner rather than dirty or unkempt.
The minute or so's walk to the harbour however served to counter the initial impression given by the bus station. This has been seriously cleaned up and whilst still very much a working harbour is now an major attraction - this is the place to sit and have your fish and chips and enjoy the slow-paced North Devon biziness. That's the attraction: everything that needs doing gets done, but at its own pace, not rushed.
The town too is a delight. Not only have most of its buildings been smartened up but also the streets are a riot of colour with floral displays everywhere and beautifully tended parks and gardens.
Being a "Combe" the town nestles in its valley and the hills on both sides are well worth the walk to appreciate not just the land and sea 'scapes but also the neatness and relative lack of development of the urban area as well.
- Pros:Been Seriously Tidied Up In Recent Years
- Cons:Still A Little Scruffy In Places
- In a nutshell:Defintely A Destination On The UP!
I've already given the Prince of Wales a good write-up here as a pub - Prince of Wales and now that I've eaten here I'm... more travel advice
The Ship and Pilot is another one of Ilfracombe's much-improved pubs. So much so that I've just learned that it's been... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Ilfracombe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Much Improved Since My Last Visit"
- "ILFRACOMBE, PICTURESQUE NORTH DEVON PORT"
- "Ilfracombe, shore of North Devon"
- "On the way to somewhere else."
- "WELCOME TO ILFRACOMBE - COASTAL BEAUTY"
- "Charming Ilfracombe"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilfracombe
- Hotels in Ilfracombe
- Transportation in Ilfracombe
- Restaurants in Ilfracombe
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilfracombe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilfracombe
- 21 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Ilfracombe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilfracombe
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Word Association Game."
- Commented on one of planxty's Ilfracombe travel pages
- Wrote a Review Already well-recommended as a pub! in Ilfracombe Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Go For A Beer #4 - The Ship and Pilot"
- updated a Ilfracombe Travel Page "Much Improved Since My Last Visit"
Photos in IlfracombeSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 64 reviews, 275 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos