"Much Improved Since My Early Visits" Top 5 Page for this destination Ilfracombe by johngayton
Ilfracombe Travel Guide: 76 reviews and 220 photos
When I first visited Ilfracombe in the late 90's I wasn't impressed with the place. Everything was run-down, the hotels were shabby and uninviting, the pubs were dingy and not particularly friendly and the harbour and beach areas were litter-strewn. The town seemed more of a cheap tacky resort where the only thing to do was visit its garishly lit and noisy amusement arcades and feed the slot machines.
This visit however (June 2009) has impressed me. It's like a different town. Everywhere has had a lick of paint, there's no litter, the pubs are friendly and inviting, the hotels, guest houses and other accomodations have taken a step upmarket and even the amusement arcades, although still there, seem to have toned themselves down.
Arriving by bus I found the bus station still a bit shabby and lacking in facilities, but shabby in a greyish utilitarian manner rather than dirty or unkempt.
UPDATE 2014 - The bus station is now a car park and the buses now run a circular route through the town centre.
The minute or so's walk to the harbour however served to counter the initial impression given by the bus station. This has been seriously cleaned up and whilst still very much a working harbour is now an major attraction - this is the place to sit and have your fish and chips and enjoy the slow-paced North Devon biziness. That's the attraction: everything that needs doing gets done, but at its own pace, not rushed.
The town too is a delight. Not only have most of its buildings been smartened up but also the streets are a riot of colour with floral displays everywhere and beautifully tended parks and gardens.
Being a "Combe" the town nestles in its valley and the hills on both sides are well worth the walk to appreciate not just the land and sea 'scapes but also the neatness and relative lack of development of the urban area as well.
- Pros:Been Seriously Tidied Up In Recent Years
- Cons:Still A Little Scruffy In Places
- In a nutshell:Defintely A Destination On The UP!
The Pier Brewery Tap and Grill is another much improved pub here in Ilfracombe. Formerly the Pier Tavern it has been... more travel advice
As I've mentioned in a previous tip on this page Damien Hirst's "...modern-day allegory for truth and justice." has... more travel advice
- See All Fun and Educational
- See All A Freebie (If you don't buy anything)!
- See All 12 Broad Street
johngayton's Related Pages
Ilfracombe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Much Improved Since My Early Visits"
- "ILFRACOMBE, PICTURESQUE NORTH DEVON PORT"
- "Ilfracombe, shore of North Devon"
- "A unplanned almost-pleasure......"
- "On the way to somewhere else."
- "WELCOME TO ILFRACOMBE - COASTAL BEAUTY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilfracombe
- Hotels in Ilfracombe
- Transportation in Ilfracombe
- Restaurants in Ilfracombe
- Shopping in Ilfracombe
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilfracombe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilfracombe
- 41 Reviews
- 96 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (191)
Have you been to Ilfracombe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilfracombe
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Have you ever experienced an..."
- Commented on one of leics's Ilfracombe tips
- Wrote a Review Another Welcome Newcomer about Pier Brewery Tap & Grill in Ilfracombe Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Another Welcome Newcomer"
- updated a Ilfracombe Travel Page "Much Improved Since My Early Visits"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue