"A Day Out To Dorset" Top 5 Page for this destination Lyme Regis by johngayton
Lyme Regis Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 92 photos
This is a place which has long been overdue a revisit. I last passed through many years ago, whilst walking this section of the Southwest Coastal Path, and nothing seems to have changed.
The town is situated on its eponymous bay on the south coast of Dorset, almost on the Devon border. In its heyday, between the 16th and 18th centuries, Lyme was a major port and shipbuilding centre, trading with France and building both merchant and naval vessels. Even though its importance as a port has since declined its main landmark is still its Cobb, the breakwater which loops round the harbour.
Not even the official website can suggest why this harbour wall became known as The Cobb but it has been in existence since the early 1300's and most of the present-day structure dates back to 1824.
The Cobb plays roles in Jane Austin's novel "Persuasion" and in John Fowlers' "The French Lieutenant's Woman", the latter being made into a film starring Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons. The image of the haunted heroine standing at the Cobb's end, wrapped in a hooded cloak looking out to sea, whilst the stormy waves crash over it, remains one of my most vivid cinematic memories.
The town's other main attraction is its location on the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the so-called Jurassic Coast - the stunning 95 mile stretch of coastline between Exmouth and Swanage. The rocky cliffs date back up to 250 million years (which is in fact Triassic) and the area adjacent to Lyme Regis is mainly Jurrasic (about 140 to 200 million years old). Because the cliffs here are relatively soft limestone they are liable to erosion and landslips and so fossilised remains of the flora and fauna of that period are commonly found on the local beaches and on the undercliff.
If you are lucky you can make your own finds just by wandering, but if not then you can take part in fossil-hunting expeditions or even buy them at several local specialist shops.
- Pros:Plenty Of Old Fossils (In The Pubs!).
- Cons:It can get very busy in the summer.
- In a nutshell:Go out of season and the place is pretty timeless!
I thought it a little strange that the town's main beach is half pebbles and half sand, with a groyne separating the... more travel advice
Whilst the Cobb Arms is, in my opinion, the town's best located pub the Rock Point Inn isn't far behind. The pub itself... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Lyme Regis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Day Out To Dorset"
- "Lyme Regis area"
- "Lyme Regis and the Jurassic Coast"
- "'Wild to see Lyme'?"
- "Mary Anning and the magic of Lyme"
- "Glorious Geography!"
- "Lyme Regis"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lyme Regis
- Hotels in Lyme Regis
- Transportation in Lyme Regis
- Restaurants in Lyme Regis
- Shopping in Lyme Regis
- Warnings and Dangers in Lyme Regis
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lyme Regis
- 11 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Lyme Regis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lyme Regis
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: What happened to my Top 5..."
- updated a Lyme Regis Travel Page "A Day Out To Dorset"
- Commented on one of leics's Lyme Regis travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Two-Tone Town Beach Explained in Lyme Regis Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Two-Tone Town Beach Explained"
Photos in Lyme RegisSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 64 reviews, 275 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos