Lynmouth Transportation Tips by johngayton Top 5 Page for this destination
Lynmouth Transportation: 4 reviews and 3 photos
Lynton and Lynmouth have a regular bus service Mondays to Saturdays to and from Barnstaple - the Filers Travel #'s 309 and 310. Buses run roughly hourly during the day but only certain buses go down to Lynmouth itself.
The trip into Barnstaple takes just over an hour with a couple of the services connecting with the railway station and the rest terminating at the bus station which is is in the town centre.
The pic here is the incoming and outgoing buses on the evening run which swap drivers at Blackmoor gate which is why both buses are temporarily signed Lynmouth.
Bus at Lynmouth
The Quantock Motor Services bus 300 runs from Ilfracombe into Lynmouth and on to Minehead and vica versa with a fairly regular summer schedule. The Minehead to and from Lynmouth route is a particularly stunning journey following the coast for most of the way in an open topped double decker.
Leaving Lynmouth the bus follows the coast road up Countisbury Hill then across the northern coast of Exmoor passing through Porlock with its famous Hill: 1-in-4 gradient!and then on to Minehead with a journey time of about an hour.
Travelling on the upper deck, which has both an enclosed section and an open one, provides for superb scenery, both seaward and landward but do be aware that this bus does rattle a bit and that standing on the open upper deck is not recommended due to overhanging branches.
Phone: 01823 251140
Water in Action!
In the late 1800's as tourism became the lifeblood of the two villages it was recognised that a more efficient method of transport up and down the almost 1000 feet cliff was required, than relying on donkeys and horses and carts. Following an anonymous suggestion in the local paper, outlining the idea of a water powered cliff tramway, the idea was taken up by the newspaper editor George Newnes who provided the funding and a former Isambard Kingdom Brunel engineer, George Marks, who designed it. The railway has been in continuous use ever since its completion in 1890.
The railway is powered solely by water drawn from the River Lynn with its two interconnected cars, the one at the top filling its 700 gallon water tank to provide the weight to pull up the bottom car. On reaching the top and bottom the respective roles are reversed.
This method of transportation is claimed to be the only one of its kind worlwide and apart from a slightly updated communication system between the top and bottom "stations" is totally unchanged since its inaugural journey.
At present a one-way trip is GBP 1.75 though there is a locals rate of 40p for those of us who actually use the railway to get to the top for shopping and whatever.
Phone: 01598 753908
More Reviews (32)
- See All The Sunset Tree
- See All The Rockford Inn For An Afternoon Beer
- See All Hunters Inn For Lunch
- See All Beware Of Suicidal Goats!
- See All Watch The Artist At Work
johngayton's Related Pages
Lynmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A North Devon Timewarp"
- "Lynmouth Exmoor Devon - "Little Switzerland""
- "Goats 1"
- "A Sunset Over Lynmouth Bay"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lynmouth
- Hotels in Lynmouth
- Transportation in Lynmouth
- Nightlife in Lynmouth
- Restaurants in Lynmouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Lynmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lynmouth
- 35 Reviews
- 153 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Lynmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lynmouth
Photos in LynmouthSee All Photos (153)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 71 reviews, 298 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 68 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue