"Lynton, North Devon, Lots of Memories" Lynton by johngayton

Lynton Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 70 photos

2005, 2006, 2007 and 2011 (so far)

Update (TWICE!!) this October 2007 - Still the most special place in the whole world and with two entirely different but equally special people - whatever needs to be done do it here, or down the bottom too!!!!

Update 10th July 2006

BACK AGAIN, but at the bottom this time in Lynmouth, though I am writing this from The Queens here at the top:)

16th Aug 2005

I've only just come back from a "in and out day trip" , stopped overnight at "The Crown", could've stopped forever given half-a-chance.

Sometimes when I've been somewhere and have good memories and then return, it's never quite the same - the novelty (for want of a better expression) has worn off. But not so for Lynton, it seems to improve on every visit.

Perhaps it's the timelessness of it, people come, people go, but some things never change - the views don't and the feel of the village doesn't either. There's something magical about the way it affects, or an even better word "it effects", people. It effects people by bringing them under its spell: "You Will Chill Out!" it says and virtually everyone does.

This is the first time I've been back for over 5 years and that is 5 years too long.

On leaving on Tuesday afternoon an overwhelming sadness took me by the throat - what's the song? "Ive got the blues for you.............

Thoughts on South-West England

I've probably said this before, but there is something about Devon that makes it unique. Much as I love its neighbours, Somerset, Dorset and Cornwall: Somerset is perhaps a little too pretty; Dorset, a little too polished; Cornwall, a tad coarse, but within Devon we have the prettiness, the polish and the rough edges and they all seem to fit jigsaw-wise to form a whole that approaches perfection. Aye, I've definitely got the blues.

Views are fine, but People Make Places!

This is Pete - go to Lynton, stay at Crown, mention my name, (AKA John the Chef) and you will be seriously looked after (and I get my 10%!)

Alternatively - go to Lynton, stay at Crown, enjoy yourselves, don't mention my name - it won't make no difference - go and chill!

Addendum Oct 2007 - Pete isn't at The Crown any more but at The Greenhouse by the bus stop these days, but all the above still apply :)

SAD News

Unfortunately Pete passed away in 2010, news which only caught up with me after the fact. By all accounts the funeral was attended by thousands.

I doubt very much that he'll be going upstairs (nor I should imagine he'd want to) but I bet Old Nick will be enjoying his company. See you there someday Pete - don't let the fires go out!

• Pros:"so laid back its almost horizontal"
  • Cons:The Hill from Lynmouth - STEEP!
  • In a nutshell:This is North Devon Proper
  • Last visit to Lynton: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Hello, John! Well I never! Having read your description I thought about our villages where time seems to have stood still for ages...

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 5:02 AM

I had a look at your scarecrow pictures, I like the way people made those dolls. Wonder what start this event?

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2008 at 1:42 AM

Now that's a nice place with all the amenities one would expect of a real English village - a pub or two, a friendly inn and lots of paths for walks. I bet there is also a church and a nice old graveyard. And it's a very scenic area too!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2007 at 11:03 AM

It's a lovely place with excellent Devonshire tea! Nice page you made :)) One day I shall make my own tiny one if I find the time.

• Sep 10, 2007 at 9:05 PM

He-he - can't wait, John! Hugs, Marina ;-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2006 at 4:18 PM

great page

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 8:19 PM

Women know these things.

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 5:04 PM

Note to self...... "must remember own handcuffs & whip", lol! Lovely poem did you write it John?

johngayton Visits Here Frequently!

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Lynton