"A Place To Avoid In The Summer Months" Minehead by johngayton
Minehead Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 65 photos
In winter, spring and autumn Minehead is a relaxed little Somerset seaside town with friendly locals, characterful pubs , a couple of cheap, but good, bookshops (and a WH Smith) and a clutch of reasonably-priced cafes and restaurants.
The tree-lined High Street has a mix of National and independent shops and services which makes the town especially useful when I'm working at Lynmouth and the open-topped Quantock motor services bus journey is a delight in its own right as it first follows the dramatic North Devon coastline before heading inland through the lush rolling hills of Exmoor.
The town is home to the West Somerset Railway, the longest "Heritage Railway" in the country and is also the Somerset start point for the Southwest Coastal Path which incidentally is the longest continuous footpath in the UK.
Then there's the harbour with its quay (home to my two favourite pubs) - there has been a port here since 1380 which has had its ups and downs over the years and is now in an entirely different location to the original.
The town's main draw though is its beach and its Butlins holiday camp which results in a major influx of visitors in the summer months. Unfortunately I'm a bit snobbish about certain visitors and whilst there are plenty of perfectly nice people its the amateur hour, skinhead, tatooed drunks loudly taking over the pubs that puts me off.
It is a pleasant beach though, reconstructed at considerable cost after being washed away by storms in 1990. It took until 2001 before it was officially reopened and required 320,000 tons of imported sand with 1.1 miles of new sea wall and four rock groynes to protect it.
I do love the harbour area, and not just for the two excellent pubs (The Quay and The Old ship Aground). The harbour's heyday was in the 16th and 17th centuries when in addition to the fishing (mostly herring) fleet it was a significant port trading with places as far afield as Virginia and the West Indies. Cargoes included local wool, linens, coal, salt, hides and livestock as well as a significant traffic in wines from France and Spain.
The Industrial Revolution took the wool trade to the factory areas around the ports of Liverpool and Bristol and in 1791 Minehead was devestated by fire. The harbour lost its trading position and it wasn't until the town began to develop as a seaside resort in the late Victorian era that its fortunes began to revive.
In 1901 the Luttrell family, who had been responsible for the original 15th century stone harbour, built a pier to serve visiting cruise ships and steamers with much of that trade being day-trippers from the industrial areas of South Wales. This continued until the Second World War when the pier was dismantled to allow wartime coastal defences a fuller field of fire.
The present-day harbour still has the occasional visit by the restored steamers The Waverley and Balmoral (both of whom also make occasional trips to my Island - Lundy) but is mostly used by smaller pleasure craft and a couple of day fishing boats.
- Pros:Characterful Old Harbour And West Somerset Railway
- Cons:Butlins and Amusement Arcades
- In a nutshell:Give It A Wide Berth Midsummer
Having two cracking pubs in the harbour area is reason enough to wander down that way and the harbour itself is well... more travel advice
Minehead has a full-time lifeboat station, manned during the day, just down from the harbour. There are two inshore... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Minehead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Place To Avoid In The Summer Months"
- ""All aboard for the West Somerset Railway"..."
- "Minehead - the gateway to Exmoor?"
- "MINEHEAD - LOCAL COASTAL TOWN"
- "Minehead Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Minehead
- Hotels in Minehead
- Transportation in Minehead
- Nightlife in Minehead
- Restaurants in Minehead
- Shopping in Minehead
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Minehead
- 14 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (185)
Have you been to Minehead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minehead
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: HOW CAN I INSERT MY B&B"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Minehead travel pages
- Wrote a Review Between Beers? - Visit The Harbour in Minehead Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Between Beers? - Visit The Harbour"
- updated a Minehead Travel Page "A Place To Avoid In The Summer Months"
Photos in MineheadSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 82 reviews, 234 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 60 reviews, 151 photos, 1 travelogue