"The Local Market Town" Newton Abbot by johngayton
Newton Abbot Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 86 photos
Just a brief intro for just now.
I get into Newton maybe once or twice a month. It has everything, shopping wise that we need including quite a few quirky little old-fashioned family run shops and businesses. It has a very good indoor market and a weekly main market. It also has a main line railway station with regular services into Exeter and onto London, or going the other way into Cornwall as far as Penzance.
It also has lots of pubs!!
Just the briefast of updates (18/11/05): Passing through Newton this morning on way back home from Paris, I needed to some quick shopping - Cigarette papers, glossy photo paper, get a frame for a poster and change some Czech Koruna into Sterling - all achieved in 20 mins, including passing time of day with everyone and taking in a small art exhibition at picture framers.
Exactly how it should be, unfortunately pubs not open at 9 am :(
Having now moved to Paignton I find myself passing through Newton regularly - sometimes even when I don't have to I'll change trains here just to pop into the Railway pub for a beer or two.
Not a lot is different here, although I have noticed that the town council is making a concerted effort to encourage tourism such as with the information board pictured.
It's still great for shopping with plenty of independent shops, the necessary nationals and banks etc. and of course the market is still thriving.
- Pros:Nearest Town, Plenty of Shops, Restaurants, Pubs etc.
- Cons:Not recommended on Friday/Saturday Nights
- In a nutshell:Everything you want from your local market town
On the pedestal of the former Market Cross, in front of the Clock Tower, is the inscription: "The first declaration of... more travel advice
Newton Abbot is a bit of a mish-mash of architectural styles, mostly functional rather than decorative, but one... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Newton Abbot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Local Market Town"
- "Newton Abbot"
- "Newton Abbot"
- "A place I haven't been to"
- "My Newton Abbot"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newton Abbot
- Hotels in Newton Abbot
- Transportation in Newton Abbot
- Nightlife in Newton Abbot
- Restaurants in Newton Abbot
- Shopping in Newton Abbot
- Warnings and Dangers in Newton Abbot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newton Abbot
- 19 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (192)
Have you been to Newton Abbot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newton Abbot
Photos in Newton AbbotSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue