"Poole: Port, Pottery, Pubs and Pretty Girls" Top 5 Page for this destination Poole by johngayton
Poole Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 182 photos
I hadn't been to Poole for many, many years but having recently found myself having to drop into Bournemouth from time to time and finding that Bournemouth, at least within the town itself, is a tad bereft of decent pubs, on my last visit I decided to have a day out in Poole, a couple of miles down the road - a minor pub crawl which seems to be lasting now for THREE DAYS!
Poole has a reputation as being one of Britain's most expensive towns to live, and certainly there is an undercurrent of wealth here, but the pubs are great proper pubs all, and not only the pubs but it also has a working port, fishing, commercial as well as being one of Brittany Ferries embarkation points. It is also host to some rather pretty women - some of whom aren't even barmaids!!
Arriving into Poole, whether driving, or by bus, or by train, isn't the most inspiring journey as you pass through the central conurbation of this part of the southern coast of England which seems to stretch, sprawling, in a never ending housing estate all the way from Kent to Devon, with no real distinction between one town and the next, but Poole stands out as a minor individual, with its own charismatic idiosyncrasy.
Poole's main claim to fame is its famous pottery, founded in 1873, which, apart from its eponymous collectibles, was responsible for providing much of the tiling for the London Underground in the 1930's - the pub here is a fine example of its products.
- Pros:Loads Of Pubs!
- Cons:Expensive Hotels!
- In a nutshell:Decent Beer - Friendly Folk - Georgous Girls!
Poole is far too posh to have "Hot Dog" vendors! Instead they have the "Hot Sausage Company" which does sausages in buns... more travel advice
The South Coast's beaches are under constant threat of erosion which is neither good for the tourist industry nor for... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Poole Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Poole, England"
- "Poole Borough"
- "Poole: Port, Pottery, Pubs and Pretty Girls"
- "Sandbanks-The home of the wealthy!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Poole
- Hotels in Poole
- Transportation in Poole
- Nightlife in Poole
- Restaurants in Poole
- Shopping in Poole
- Warnings and Dangers in Poole
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Poole
- 20 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Poole?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Poole
Photos in PooleSee All Photos (48)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 70 reviews, 296 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos