"Not In Anybody's Top 10 Places But....." Top 5 Page for this destination Reading by johngayton
Reading Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 381 photos
Reading isn't really the sort of place which you would normally consider as a tourist destination here in the UK, well I certainly didn't. Until last year my only experience of Reading had been when changing trains, or perhaps getting the bus to Heathrow, and as such, apart from a single (disappointing) foray into the town in search of a pub, all I really saw of the place was the confines of the railway station and its forecourt.
Although at this stage I should note that there is an excellent pub, The Three Guineas" attached to the station itself (Tip to follow under "Things To Do") - which is probably why I was disinclined to leave the environs.
It just so happened that after my 4 month break in the US and Greece last year, I arrived back in the UK with no great enthusiasm for returning to the grind, nor even having made a decision exactly where I was going back to: the mental coin being tossed between Essex to the East and Devon to the West. With both choices having similar merits, I was temporarily stuck in the total void of vacillation and hence ended up spending the weekend in Reading - which if you check on the map is pretty much midway betwixt the twain!
Having chosen Reading as a sort of anonymous no-man's land with the intention of just chilling out for a couple of days before heading either East or West, I was indeed surprised by how pleasant a place it really is, once one sees beyond the ugly facades of the modern shops and office blocks and begin to discover the hidden joys of the town with its river and canal, the historic Abbey and its associated buildings, the industrial heritage, and, of course, the pubs!!
The pubs are always the most important thing about a place - it's all very well and fine having wonderful architecture, culture and history, but if the pubs are naff, then that's another place to be struck off the "revisit list". Reading is definitely on the list!!
- Pros:Some Cracking Pubs and Friendly Folk!
- Cons:A Lot of Concrete!
- In a nutshell:Definitely an Oddbod of a Place!
The Travelodge group has hotels in and around most British towns and cities. The company is the hotel equivalent of the... more travel advice
Having enjoyed a decent lunch at Bel and the Dragon, along with a few beers of course, it was time for a little... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Reading Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reading, Berkshire, England."
- "Reading..... also known as Reading :P"
- "Reading - Home is where the heart is"
- "Not In Anybody's Top 10 Places But....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reading
- Hotels in Reading
- Transportation in Reading
- Nightlife in Reading
- Restaurants in Reading
- Shopping in Reading
- Warnings and Dangers in Reading
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reading
- 15 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Reading?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reading
Photos in ReadingSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 70 reviews, 296 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos