"A South Devon Time Warp" Sidmouth by johngayton
Sidmouth Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 43 photos
Prior to about 1800 AD Sidmouth was a small fishing village at the mouth of the River Sid where it flows into Lyme Bay. Because of its exposed position on the bay early attempts to construct a proper harbour were defeated by the winter storms and so the village remained relatively obscure. This obscurity had its benefits and by some accounts the revenue from its fishing industry was secondary to that gleaned from the more illicit uses of its small fleet.
In the early 1800's as the London trendy crowd began looking to the English south coast for their countryside escapes Sidmouth enjoyed a brief burst of popularity and over the next 50 or so years the town developed into the resort as it stands today.
Because the town is shouldered by the Jurassic cliffs on both sides the only way it has been able to expand is northwards up the Sid Vale and so from the mid-1800's not much has changed in the town and its seafront. Many of the fine Regency period townhouses have become hotels and the various other constructions from the time, such as the marketplace and The Esplanade, are also substantially as they were 150 years ago.
- Pros:Almost As It Was In The 1800's
- Cons:Too Many Grockles In The Summer!
- In a nutshell:Great for a day out in spring or autumn.
For my next visit to Sidmouth as well as having a proper pub crawl and sussing out where's good to eat I really must... more travel advice
Sidmouth has hosted an annual folk festival since 1955. This began as a relatively low-key event run by the English Folk... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Sidmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A South Devon Time Warp"
- "Your are entering donkey land"
- "Faded Grandeur on the Seaside"
- "Sidmouth My Home Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sidmouth
- Hotels in Sidmouth
- Transportation in Sidmouth
- Restaurants in Sidmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sidmouth
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Sidmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sidmouth
Photos in SidmouthSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 64 reviews, 275 photos, 7 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 64 reviews, 169 photos, 2 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos