"Here I Used To Be" Umberleigh by johngayton
Umberleigh Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 19 photos
UPDATE A very old page of mine and so please totally ignore this introduction. But if you do find yourself here then do visit, or even stay at, The Portsmouth Arms - Andy and Dee are nice people.
Below this line is my old write up
Well, all right I'm not actually in the village itself but we are part of the parish and Umberleigh actually exists here on VT (with a little tweaking by G). So Umberleigh it is, but who'se counting?
Where I actually am is a tiny hamlet called Portsmouth Arms, eponymous with our pub and our railway station which between the two comprise half the hamlet, the other half being the farm next door and the station house down the road - that's all there is folks!
This is pretty much perfect for me, working with a couple of old colleagues (HA! Well 1 Old One and 1 Younger One!!) and it is just the best place to be, out of the way but with easy access to both Barnstaple and Exeter by the railway line which quite literally runs past the bottom of our garden and with The River Taw a short walk across. It's so good to be back in Devon :)
That's what we're doing, our little trio: Andy, Dee and myself and also being great welcoming company - this place is just magic AND we have a couple of spare rooms - so if you fancy a visit, you know my email here - all welcome.
As I said, we have a couple of free rooms, I can do a couple of free beers - HA! I might even feed you! Then it's buy John all his beer all night - yep seriously guys - I will buy a couple of bicycles to run around on (Google "The Tarka Trail") and come and visit - your only expense will be my beer - millionaires only then ;p HIC! and Cheers, Nostrovia, Proust,Skol, Salut, and I've forgotten what it is in Hungarian, ach back to my native language then - Slainte, Slainte Maharich and all travellers well met, WELCOME - let's make my tiny part of my beloved Devon a place for serious chill out and bonhomie - Life is just so good, share it with me,
- Pros:Perfect Rural Setting
- Cons:Only ONE pub in the hamlet ;)
- In a nutshell:I Still Love You When It Rains!
If you are looking for characterful accommodation around the Umberleigh/Barnstaple area then look no further than here... more travel advice
Should you ever just happen to find yourself driving (or even cycling) past our pub here at Portsmouth Arms it might... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Umberleigh Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Umberleigh
- Hotels in Umberleigh
- Transportation in Umberleigh
- Restaurants in Umberleigh
- Warnings and Dangers in Umberleigh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Umberleigh
- 8 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (193)
Have you been to Umberleigh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Umberleigh
Photos in UmberleighSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 74 reviews, 313 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 85 reviews, 243 photos, 2 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos, 1 travelogue