"And Here I Am :)" Umberleigh by johngayton

Umberleigh Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 19 photos

Umberleigh :)

Well, all right I'm not actually in the village itself but we are part of the parish and Umberleigh actually exists here on VT (with a little tweaking by G). So Umberleigh it is, but who'se counting?

Where I actually am is a tiny hamlet called Portsmouth Arms, eponymous with our pub and our railway station which between the two comprise half the hamlet, the other half being the farm next door and the station house down the road - that's all there is folks!

This is pretty much perfect for me, working with a couple of old colleagues (HA! Well 1 Old One and 1 Younger One!!) and it is just the best place to be, out of the way but with easy access to both Barnstaple and Exeter by the railway line which quite literally runs past the bottom of our garden and with The River Taw a short walk across. It's so good to be back in Devon :)

Great Beer and Great Food!!

That's what we're doing, our little trio: Andy, Dee and myself and also being great welcoming company - this place is just magic AND we have a couple of spare rooms - so if you fancy a visit, you know my email here - all welcome.

First Beers Are On Me :-)

As I said, we have a couple of free rooms, I can do a couple of free beers - HA! I might even feed you! Then it's buy John all his beer all night - yep seriously guys - I will buy a couple of bicycles to run around on (Google "The Tarka Trail") and come and visit - your only expense will be my beer - millionaires only then ;p HIC! and Cheers, Nostrovia, Proust,Skol, Salut, and I've forgotten what it is in Hungarian, ach back to my native language then - Slainte, Slainte Maharich and all travellers well met, WELCOME - let's make my tiny part of my beloved Devon a place for serious chill out and bonhomie - Life is just so good, share it with me,

John.

• Pros:Perfect Rural Setting
  • Cons:Only ONE pub in the hamlet ;)
  • In a nutshell:I Still Love You When It Rains!
  • Intro Updated Aug 3, 2007

• poons's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 7:46 AM

haha - always the same. They give with one hand and take away with the other.

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2007 at 11:46 AM

American holiday here! Contemplating my 2nd beer & thinking of U! did 3 hours of flower garden creating today, hot & sweaty, then a shower, so I need 2, right!? Listening to one of my fav local bands on c.d...life is sweet. Hope U are great, Laura

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 4:21 PM

that looks darn nice john. i might just have to pop by one day and say hello.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 7:40 AM

So is that proper bloke food or are you catering to the 23 oversexed women who stop by? Would I like the fish pie?

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Wondered what the food was on the front page. Glad that you explained further down, made it only look better.

• Jul 31, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Simply irresistible!!..:-)

johngayton Used To Live Here!

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Umberleigh

Have you been to Umberleigh?

Latest Activity in Umberleigh