"3 Pubs and 3 of Us - That'll be one each then!" Top 5 Page for this destination Malahide by johngayton
Malahide Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 186 photos
I do believe that some people visit Ireland to enjoy the scenery, history and culture and indeed it has all three in abundance. But me, I come for The Craic!
"Craic" is a difficult word to pin a definition to. The esteemed Oxford English Dictionary offers: "fun, enjoyment, abandonment, or lighthearted mischief, often in the context of drinking or music".
Yes, The Craic is all these things, and more: but whatever its definition it always involves people.
So when I heard that my good friends Ellen and Joe, from Montana, were having a tour around Ireland, I reckoned it would be a great craic to pop over for the day and share some craic in a pub or two (well, three if you want to be accurate).
Hence my visit to Malahide.
Malahide is a small seaside town, about 10 miles north of Dublin, and is famous for its castle, beach and marina. I assume the castle, beach and marina are well worth a visit but only being here for a few hours I was more interested in The Craic.
Meeting up with Ellen and Joe was, as always, a delight and a few slurps of the black stuff were thoroughly enjoyed in convivial company in our little mini pub crawl - as you may have guessed from the page title, the town has 3.
The 3 pubs (Gibney's, Smyth's and Duffy's) were each a pleasure and each with their own character. Gibney's is a labyrinth of varying spaces, offering something for everyone. Duffy's Bar and Lounge is a sort of updated Victorian mega boozer with a bit of trendy lighting and pot plants (potted plants I mean, just in case someone from the Garda misinterprets) thrown around.
Smyth's though was definitely my favourite with its proper public bar (it also has a more upscale lounge/dining room) inhabited by mad Irishmen who greeted me by name even though I had never set foot in the place (nor the town) before. "Grand to meet you John", as Finn (or was it Billy) shook my hand - now that's Craic!
- Pros:The 3 Pubs!
- Cons:I'm reliably informed that it can get a bit busy when the sun's out!
- In a nutshell:Smyth's, Duffy's and Gibney's (in that order)
Like Duffy's, Smyth's comprises two separate bars - the public bar and the lounge, although these have a common... more travel advice
Gibney's, with its seven separate bar and lounge areas, is a rambling ramshackle of a pub. Each of the seven areas has... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Malahide Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mullach Íde"
- "Malahide - The Hidden Gem Of Dublin"
- "3 Pubs and 3 of Us - That'll be one each then!"
- "Malahide, quaint little town"
- "Castle Malahide"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malahide
- Hotels in Malahide
- Transportation in Malahide
- Restaurants in Malahide
- Shopping in Malahide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malahide
- 4 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (186)
Have you been to Malahide?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malahide
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: VT under attack? "
- Commented on one of johngayton's Malahide travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Go For A Beer #2 Smyth's"
- Wrote a Review Go For A Beer #2 Smyth's in Malahide Things to Do
- updated a Malahide Travel Page "3 Pubs and 3 of Us - That'll be one each then!"
Photos in MalahideSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 73 reviews, 308 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 67 reviews, 225 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 59 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue