"3 Pubs and 3 of Us - That'll be one each then!" Top 5 Page for this destination Malahide by johngayton

Malahide Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 184 photos

Sightseeing? Don't be daft this is Ireland!

I do believe that some people visit Ireland to enjoy the scenery, history and culture and indeed it has all three in abundance. But me, I come for The Craic!

"Craic" is a difficult word to pin a definition to. The esteemed Oxford English Dictionary offers: "fun, enjoyment, abandonment, or lighthearted mischief, often in the context of drinking or music".

Yes, The Craic is all these things, and more: but whatever its definition it always involves people.

So when I heard that my good friends Ellen and Joe, from Montana, were having a tour around Ireland, I reckoned it would be a great craic to pop over for the day and share some craic in a pub or two (well, three if you want to be accurate).

Hence my visit to Malahide.

Malahide is a small seaside town, about 10 miles north of Dublin, and is famous for its castle, beach and marina. I assume the castle, beach and marina are well worth a visit but only being here for a few hours I was more interested in The Craic.

Meeting up with Ellen and Joe was, as always, a delight and a few slurps of the black stuff were thoroughly enjoyed in convivial company in our little mini pub crawl - as you may have guessed from the page title, the town has 3.

The 3 pubs (Gibney's, Smyth's and Duffy's) were each a pleasure and each with their own character. Gibney's is a labyrinth of varying spaces, offering something for everyone. Duffy's Bar and Lounge is a sort of updated Victorian mega boozer with a bit of trendy lighting and pot plants (potted plants I mean, just in case someone from the Garda misinterprets) thrown around.

Smyth's though was definitely my favourite with its proper public bar (it also has a more upscale lounge/dining room) inhabited by mad Irishmen who greeted me by name even though I had never set foot in the place (nor the town) before. "Grand to meet you John", as Finn (or was it Billy) shook my hand - now that's Craic!

• Pros:The 3 Pubs!
  • Cons:I'm reliably informed that it can get a bit busy when the sun's out!
  • In a nutshell:Smyth's, Duffy's and Gibney's (in that order)
  • Last visit to Malahide: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2009

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Malahide

Have you been to Malahide?

Latest Activity in Malahide