"3 Pubs and 3 of Us - That'll be one each then!" Top 5 Page for this destination Malahide by johngayton

Malahide Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 186 photos

Sightseeing? Don't be daft this is Ireland!

I do believe that some people visit Ireland to enjoy the scenery, history and culture and indeed it has all three in abundance. But me, I come for The Craic!

"Craic" is a difficult word to pin a definition to. The esteemed Oxford English Dictionary offers: "fun, enjoyment, abandonment, or lighthearted mischief, often in the context of drinking or music".

Yes, The Craic is all these things, and more: but whatever its definition it always involves people.

So when I heard that my good friends Ellen and Joe, from Montana, were having a tour around Ireland, I reckoned it would be a great craic to pop over for the day and share some craic in a pub or two (well, three if you want to be accurate).

Hence my visit to Malahide.

Malahide is a small seaside town, about 10 miles north of Dublin, and is famous for its castle, beach and marina. I assume the castle, beach and marina are well worth a visit but only being here for a few hours I was more interested in The Craic.

Meeting up with Ellen and Joe was, as always, a delight and a few slurps of the black stuff were thoroughly enjoyed in convivial company in our little mini pub crawl - as you may have guessed from the page title, the town has 3.

The 3 pubs (Gibney's, Smyth's and Duffy's) were each a pleasure and each with their own character. Gibney's is a labyrinth of varying spaces, offering something for everyone. Duffy's Bar and Lounge is a sort of updated Victorian mega boozer with a bit of trendy lighting and pot plants (potted plants I mean, just in case someone from the Garda misinterprets) thrown around.

Smyth's though was definitely my favourite with its proper public bar (it also has a more upscale lounge/dining room) inhabited by mad Irishmen who greeted me by name even though I had never set foot in the place (nor the town) before. "Grand to meet you John", as Finn (or was it Billy) shook my hand - now that's Craic!

• Pros:The 3 Pubs!
  • Cons:I'm reliably informed that it can get a bit busy when the sun's out!
  • In a nutshell:Smyth's, Duffy's and Gibney's (in that order)
  • Last visit to Malahide: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2009

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2015 at 6:13 PM

even if just pubs its a great little page youve got here! one day i will get to Malahide to see the castle and Ill know which pub to have an Irish stew or a shandy ;)

• johngayton's Profile Photo
      May 11, 2015 at 6:28 PM

One of those things that just had to done Angie and EllenH is a very dear friend. I love this page because it brings back great personal memories, even though I was only there for about 4 hours.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      May 11, 2015 at 7:19 PM

nice...its those sort of special moments i love so much about getting out and about travelling :)

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Good grief, I hope you didn't miss the castle in Malahide. Oh well, we missed the pubs. Phooey . . . ;^)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

John, now I have even learned a new word, or at least now I know what "craic" really means. I must admit that I have heard that word recently, but wasn't really sure about its meaning. So reading your excellent pages about smaller places is not only entertaining, but there is also always something new to learn (if the tip is grouped or not doesn't really matter). *winkygrin*

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM

so the craic was good

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Well I have discovered adding to trip planner. Just curious if you have double ratings over last few days or if VT police did delete the accidental double up.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2009 at 3:56 PM

hi john. love the fact that you enjoyed the whole place from the inside of a boozer or two - great stuff.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2009 at 6:07 AM

now that is things to do tips i can understand :o)

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Wish we could do it again!

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Badges & Stats in Malahide

Have you been to Malahide?