Bergamo Warnings Or Dangers Tips by johngayton
Bergamo Warnings and Dangers: 23 reviews and 44 photos
Coming Up But Not Going Down At Midnight Tonight!
...that night anyway!!
On our last night in Bergamo dinner was at Il Sole restaurant in the upper town. I'd had a few pre-dinner beers, a few snifters of wine with dinner and then a few post-prandial beers just to say "bye" to a few people. As a result I was feeling a bit melancholic - HA! - for "melancholic" read "squiffy". So I decided that instead of attempting to find the footpath down to Citta Bassa I'd take the easy option of the funicular.
Well it was only about 11.30 and when I got to the station the bar was still open. I wandered in and enquired of the barman as to what time the last train was. "Midnight." I was informed.
DING! Just time for another beer or two then ;-HIC!
So a couple more beers were duly enjoyed, as too was the great view from the Caffe della Funiculare's terrace overlooking the lower city and then it was time to head downwards.
There were a couple of dozen people waiting, mostly locals judging by the dress standards and accents. However when the car arrived at the top the driver got out and announced (well that's what I'm assuming he announced given that my Italian is limited to "Una Birra Preggo.*) that the service had finished for the night.
Anyway all those waiting just sort of shrugged and dispersed. Me I went back to the bar and managed another quick beer before heading downwards ambulatory-wise.
This turned out to be a very atmospheric little journey. The downwards path wound through the Venetian walls and the gateways in them and being slightly (SLIGHTLY!!) drunk my imagination ran wild. It was as if I was a Venetian night watchman patrolling the city walls and ready to save my city should the barbarian Huns, or whoever, appear.
I hardly bounced off any walls at all ;-HIC!
Al Fresco Conversationists
Whilst the upper city is relatively traffic free (because there is very little parking) there seems to be a constant stream of motor cars and scooters just driving around in circles in the late evenings. This was a real pain when we were trying to enjoy a little al fresco conversation in the street (via Borgo Canale) after dinner on the Saturday at Colombina. They weren't driving particularly fast but there just seemed to be a constant stream of them on what is a very narrow street that doesn't actually go anywhere.
In the Citta Bassa you get the opposite - up and down the main drag of Emanuele/Roma/Papa Giovanni the boy racers zoom past with their souped-up engines screaming.
Ban them from the streets I say!!!
As with most modern cities Bergamo's Citta Bassa has very busy roads and the location on the plain means that on windless sunny days the exhaust pollution from the vehicles tends to settle at street level.
Coming from an Island in the Atlantic Ocean I particularly notice air pollution when travelling and the atmosphere here was pretty thick. I noticed a few people wearing these face masks and don't blame them. So if you have respiratory problems it might be advisable to pack one with you - me I just took another drag on my cigarette to counter balance the effect.
More Reviews (36)
- See All Still No Rabbit but What A Welcome!!
- See All The Pic That Made My Whole Trip...
- See All Good Beer, Good Atmosphere and GREAT...
- See All Bergamo Passeggiata
- See All Agriturismo La Beccaccia - Lunch
johngayton's Related Pages
Bergamo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Tale of Two Cities!"
- "A tale of two (Italian) cities"
- "Town of two parts......"
- "Bergamo Città Alta, what a beautiful discovery!"
- "My 'Bèrghem'"
- "MEDIEVAL BERGAMO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bergamo
- Hotels in Bergamo
- Transportation in Bergamo
- Nightlife in Bergamo
- Restaurants in Bergamo
- Shopping in Bergamo
- Warnings and Dangers in Bergamo
- See All...
Explore the World
- Puntarenas Hotels
- Batu Pahat
- Cortez Hotels
- Sabana Grande Hotels
- Cape Lookout Hotels
- Areas to Avoid / Crime
- Chennai (Madras) Warnings and Dangers
- Hawaii (State of) Warnings and Dangers
- Hamilton Island Warnings and Dangers
- Dodgy Areas
- Vancouver Warnings and Dangers
- Airport/Security Checks
- Denver Warnings and Dangers
- Personal Safety
- Colombia Warnings and Dangers
- Street crime
- Kuching Warnings and Dangers
Badges & Stats in Bergamo
- 39 Reviews
- 191 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Bergamo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bergamo
- Posted in Travel Europe Forum "Re: Best group tours"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Bergamo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Still No Rabbit but What A Welcome!! in Bergamo Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Still No Rabbit but What A Welcome!!"
- updated a Bergamo Travel Page "Where Two Halves Make More Than A Whole!"
- Uploaded a Video to Bergamo
Photos in BergamoSee All Photos (191)
Top 10 Pages
- Berlin Intro, 74 reviews, 264 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 65 reviews, 219 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 39 reviews, 191 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 63 reviews, 164 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 50 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 52 reviews, 168 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ottawa Intro, 62 reviews, 125 photos
Latest Bergamo hotel reviews
- Hotel Agnello d'Oro
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Mercure Bergamo Palazzo Dolci
- 251 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Best Western Premier Cappello d'Oro
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 23, 2013
- Ostello della Gioventu Bergamo
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2012
- Albergo Il Sole
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- La Valletta Relais
- 150 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Alla Funicolare B&B
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 13, 2013
- Miramonti Hotel Bergamo
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Piemontese
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Al Principato B&B
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Arli Hotel
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Centrale Apartement
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Milano
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 2, 2013
- Botton d'Oro B&B
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013