"Even When Devon's Not Being Her Usual Green Self.." Top 5 Page for this destination Dartmoor National Park by johngayton
Dartmoor National Park Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 200 photos
The 368 square miles of Dartmoor National Park occupies the heartland of South Devon and the word "heartland" is more than apt - It's even shaped like a heart!!
Yet whilst perhaps the term "National Park" may imply an impression of homogenity, an idea of sameness throughout its vast acreage, nothing could be further from the reality. The Moor (and for its locals Dartmoor is THE Moor!) defies easy description: being simultaneously; lush, green and fertile, and then a mere mile up the path, barren, grey and hostile - and we are not talking about changing seasons here, just walking 1,760 yards on the same afternoon!!
Walking The Moor is the way to truly experience it and whilst much of the land is privately owned very little is fenced-in - even the sheep, cattle and ponies of The Moor are generally allowed free range with their only constraints being the strategically placed roadway grids to stop them getting off The Moor and the hedgerows to stop them getting at their winter feed in the fields before winter arrives!!!
The Moor is very much a tourist destination, especially during the summer months with day-trippers abounding by the coach load. But wherever you are, even on the busiest summer day, you need never walk far to escape the madding crowds!!
- Pros:Mostly Unspoilt and Accessible Wilderness
- Cons:The "Beaten Paths" can be a tad overbeaten at times!
- In a nutshell:Get off the "Beaten Path" and enjoy (Summer or Winter!)
Despite Dartmoor's reputation as a wilderness about 90% of the land within the National Park is in fact farmland, and... more travel advice
Here's a press release I got in my mail box today from the Dartmoor National Park Authority: Granite cross discovered... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Dartmoor National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Dartmoor"
- "Dartmoor> It's AMOORE ;)"
- "Even When Devon's Not Being Her Usual Green Self.."
- "Moorland and streams and granite and space......"
- "The Sound of Silence"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dartmoor National Park
- Hotels in Dartmoor National Park
- Transportation in Dartmoor National Park
- Nightlife in Dartmoor National Park
- Restaurants in Dartmoor National Park
- Shopping in Dartmoor National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Dartmoor National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dartmoor National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (182)
Have you been to Dartmoor National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dartmoor National Park
- Posted in Travel Niagara Falls Forum "Re: Photographer at Niagara Falls "
- Uploaded a Photo to "Get Away From It All AND Keep Fit!"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Dartmoor National Park tips
- Wrote a Review Farming On The Moor in Dartmoor National Park Local Customs
- updated a Dartmoor National Park Travel Page "Even When Devon's Not Being Her Usual Green Self.."
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 72 reviews, 303 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 59 reviews, 150 photos, 1 travelogue