"Zlatni Piasatsi - An Out-of-Season Visit" Golden Sands by johngayton
Golden Sands Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 70 photos
Whilst this is definitely not the sort of place I personally would spend a vacation in, Bulgaria's Golden Sands resort does have everything that I could imagine a resort tourist would want - sun, sea, sand, nightlife and a great location for further exploring the neighbouring countryside.
The resort was originally developed during the post-war communist era to attract Western tourists with their "hard currency" and offered a mix of basic and luxury accommodations and in post-communist times has become one of Bulgaria's top seaside attractions with its hotels having been seriously modernised to suit the modern vacationer.
Visiting out-of-season I must admit to being quite impressed with the whole set-up. Yes it does have a load of tacky souvenir shops, cheap and cheerful bars, mediocre fast-food joints and all the "kiss-me-quick" lack of style which actually do give these sort of places their own individuality. That said though, there are also little hints of up-markedness, places awaiting discovery by the more discerning visitor. The smarter hotels look just that and I did enjoy one of the best (and admittedly most expensive) meals that I've eaten here in Bulgaria and as a whole I left with a very favourable impression of the place.
The Golden Sands is aptly named with its wide sandy beach stretching for a good mile or so sloping gently into the relatively calm clear waters of the Black Sea and at the northern end has a small harbour from which local fishing boats supply the seafood restaurants. The beach itself is immaculately clean and looks as if it is groomed daily and the number of lifeguard seats (as yet undeployed) give the impression of safety with the added bonus of the whole front being pretty much traffic free as private cars are not allowed to enter the resort. Transportation around is provided by several little "putt-putt" trains running the legnth of the promenade though the front itself is compact enough to be easily walkable and there are plently of benches scattered around to put your feet up if necessary.
I don't know how many visitors Golden Sands expects on a busy day but it does seem amply provided for in the way of stand-alone bars, restaurants and nightlife in addition to all the hotels offering their own facilities and there seems to be something to suit every taste.
There are night clubs, karaokes, casinos and strip shows for the party people. Fast-food places offer the usual bugers, kebabs and of course pizza whilst some of the hotel restaurants look positively swank There are seafood restaurants, "English" eateries, steakhouses plus a sprinkling of authentic Bugarian eateries with wood-fired grills and water-driven rotisseries.
As to bars these are suitably diverse ranging from the slightly pricey ones on the beach itself to the 2-for one places competing against each other on the main drag. In fact I could probably spend a fortnight here and have each beer in a different bar - that makes for a lot of bars!!
All-in-all if resorts are your thing then Zlatni Piasatsi seems to be the place to go here on the Black Sea!
- Pros:Stunning Location
- Cons:I can imagine just how busy it gets!
- In a nutshell:One of the best meals I've eaten here in Bulgaria!
The Hotel International's casino is the most prominent one on the strip. It has the usual gaming tables and loads of... more travel advice
The Aladzha Rock Monastery is a set of caves hewn into a limestone cliff at the top of the hill in Zlatni Piasatsi's... more travel advice
johngayton's Related Pages
Golden Sands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Zlatni Piasatsi - An Out-of-Season Visit"
- "A first impression"
- "U-N-D-E-R _______ C-O-N-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-O-N !"
- "be carrefull !"
- "Trip to Bulgaria"
- "A Long Weekend at the Black Sea"
- "Golden Sands, Bulgaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Golden Sands
- Hotels in Golden Sands
- Transportation in Golden Sands
- Nightlife in Golden Sands
- Restaurants in Golden Sands
- Shopping in Golden Sands
- Warnings and Dangers in Golden Sands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Golden Sands
- 9 Reviews
- 35 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (175)
Have you been to Golden Sands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Golden Sands
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Travel gurus."
- Uploaded a Photo to "if You Want To Catch A Freebie Show!"
- Wrote a Review if You Want To Catch A Freebie Show! in Golden Sands Nightlife
- Commented on one of Aprilbell's Golden Sands travel pages
- updated a Golden Sands Travel Page "Zlatni Piasatsi - An Out-of-Season Visit"
Photos in Golden SandsSee All Photos (35)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 71 reviews, 298 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 41 reviews, 189 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plymouth Intro, 56 reviews, 140 photos, 1 travelogue