Roscoff Local Custom Tips by johngayton
Roscoff Local Customs: 4 reviews and 5 photos
View From Table d'Orientation
From the Table d'Orientation, looking northeast, you'll notice a set of industrial-looking water tanks and a row of warehouses. This is the premises of Les Viviers de Roscoff.
"Les Viviers" is a co-operative seafood merchant, owned and run by the workforce, who distribute the local fisherfolk's catches to markets in France, Spain and the UK.
Plankton-rich seawater flows through these purification tanks, which have a capacity of up to 50 tonnes of shellfish, which allows the animals to feed and rids them of any sand that they have ingested whilst on the seabed. Then they are ready for the eating!!
Ti an Douristed
From ancient times until the Middle Ages the west of Brittany was a Celtic-dominated region with its own language. Breton Celtic is very similar to the other Celtic laguages such as Irish and Scots Gaelic, Welsh and Cornish but has almost nothing in common with French.
Pre World War I it's estimated that 90% of the western Bretagne population spoke Breton as their first language. Today this figure is probably less than 20% and most of those are over 60 years old.
In the latter half of the 20th century the language seemed doomed to extinction but recently there has been a revival in interest in ensuring that it is not lost.
Schools and adult classes now offer courses and public buildings and services have begun to adopt bi-lingual signage and to produce written materials in both Breton and French.
The pic here is the dual signage at the Roscoff Tourist Office.
For an interesting article on the subject use the link below.
Provided the sun's out the sundial on the town centre church of Notre-Dame de Croaz Batz tells the time pretty accurately. However it doesn't take into account the seasonal changing of the clocks and so in winter it tells the time according to UK hours!
See pic #2
More Reviews (25)
- See All If Local Art Is Your Thing
- No Swimming From The Breakwater
- See All If You Need To Do Your Laundry
- See All I Assume There's A Supermarket...
johngayton's Related Pages
Roscoff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway To Brittany (Revisited)"
- "Roscoff in June"
- "Roscoff - more than a just a Ferry Port!"
- "Roscoff - Point of entry to Brittany."
- "Roscoff - a little gem"
- "Don't make the same mistake we did!"
- "ROSCOFF - Day Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roscoff
- Hotels in Roscoff
- Transportation in Roscoff
- Restaurants in Roscoff
- Shopping in Roscoff
- Warnings and Dangers in Roscoff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roscoff
- 28 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Roscoff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roscoff
- Posted in Travel Quebec Forum "Re: Winter Carnival"
- Commented on one of johngayton's Roscoff tips
- updated a Roscoff Travelogue "A Morning's Meander Part 1 - Following The Shore"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Morning's Meander Part 2 - Heading Back"
- Wrote a Review If Local Art Is Your Thing in Roscoff Things to Do
Photos in RoscoffSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lundy Island Intro, 71 reviews, 298 photos, 7 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 75 reviews, 266 photos, 9 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 66 reviews, 221 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Exeter Intro, 68 reviews, 182 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varna Intro, 65 reviews, 182 photos, 3 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 49 reviews, 195 photos, 6 travelogues
- Bergamo Intro, 40 reviews, 196 photos, 6 travelogues
- Copenhagen Intro, 55 reviews, 176 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plovdiv Intro, 44 reviews, 147 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lynmouth Intro, 35 reviews, 153 photos, 9 travelogues