"The Bit About Me." cherrybug's Profile

Philosophy

Hi and thanks for stopping by my page.

I suppose the point of having a homepage on this site is a chance to feed our own egos in some way. A chance to talk all about ourselves in the hope that other people will find us important and interesting, well travelled and exciting.....

I'm a bit of a cynic.

I have written this page after joining VT not for those purposes. I do, however, want to join a community which shares an interest in such a wonderful and important philosophy; to see as much of this beautiful and diverse planet as we can, while we can and while it's still here.

I find with travel, as with most things, there is a lot of snobbery. Often this is aimed toward the average package tourist who is often thought to be completely unable to understand the real experience of travel, "How can you possibly appreciate a country through panes of glass in a air conditioned coach?" To some extent of course that is a very valid point and I agree absolutely that there is nothing worse than the stereotypical hotel poolside complaints of "this is nothing like home, why don't they speak English properly, I hate the food...etc" However, I dislike those who think travel is something particular to them. That their way is the only way and thus their experiences are the only experiences that matter. In my opinion, travel should not be about the number of stamps in a passport. It should be about learning something new, gaining a better understanding, breaking down barriers with others and within ourselves. And of course appreciating how very lucky we are that we are able to travel and learn more about the world and its people. A luxury that many people in this world do not and will never have.

I used to have a quote by Edward de Bono ( a psychologist) on my home page which was pretty high brow and could have been thought of as pretentious, but I liked it because I do believe it. It was "Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way". Well aye! All of us are tied into established patterns. Our careers, our families, our usual roles, our habits. Travel can provide a means of breaking free from these, even if only temporarily. Travel nurtures creativity and in that sense can only be beneficial. It can help us to see things differently, understand things better, not only in the world, but also in our own lives. I've changed my quote now after my trip to India (the land of wise sayings and personal mantras..!) Okay my new quote is not quite so deep but I take it very seriously.....

There are some that say with travel, it is not the destination but the journey that counts. In the philosophical sense I agree. In the practical sense I disagree. I loathe sitting cramped up in economy on a 13 hour flight. I can't ever enjoy the beautiful sunset from the deck of a catamaran due to my debilitating seasickness and I find myself fearing for my life when veering manically around potholes in a 4x4 with a driver who keeps turning around for far too long to talk to me instead of watching the road ahead. But all of these experiences form precious memories which are never forgotton and which enrich my life. I value each journey immensely and I guess most people on this site feel the same.

Nuts and Bolts Nonsense

It might be worth giving a bit of information about me and you may think I'm being a bit hypocritical given my earlier statement about ego stroking. However, if you've read this far I suppose you might like a very small amount of information about who I am. Maybe..

Here goes:

I'm English but I have lived in Edinburgh, Scotland for the past seven years which is a stunning city that I love though I like to rant about the council.

I'm a Gemini.

My partner and I are awaiting the birth of our first child which will probably put paid to travelling for a wee while. But we're very excited!!!

My family are scattered all over the world so I rarely see them though I would have a great excuse for travel if I could afford to go visit.

My mother is English/Irish and my wonderful late father was from southern India (which was the place I visited in February this year and loved. It's got magic!)

I really dislike the ethos of 'profit over people' and so prefer to work in the charity sector. I am not a 'do-gooder' but dislike inequality and discrimination, get angry at fat cat promoting, money wasting, empire building and don't suit the bureaucratic, mostly unethical, corporate vibe.

I like to rant about capitalism.

Something I love (and don't rant about) are animals. All animals. I think I'd be better suited to a job working with animals as they seem to respond well to me and being around them makes me happy. Instead I make do with my cat and act as a dog sitter for friends when I'm needed. The picture is of my little cat when she was a baby (she's 2 now). She is easily the naughtiest oddest cat in the world and I am convinced she must be half ferral. But despite her mischief, weirdness (and destruction) she's also a little sweetie (sometimes) and I couldn't be without her.

Travel Wish List

There are so many places I would love to go and probably never will wihout a lottery win. However here are the top 7 places I hope are within my reach and plan to visit at some point.

1) India.
India holds a special place in my heart and I spent a month in Feb this year travelling around the south. It remains no. 1 on my wish list because I haven't even scratched the surface of this amazing country and plan to go back as soon as I can afford the time and money. It delights and maddens all at once as it casts it's spell. This love affair has only just begun.

2) Mozambique.
Ever since singing along to the Bob Dylan track as a student I've held a facination for this country. After reading about some of it's history and current development, even more so. Add to that the pristine coral reefs and facinating towns waiting to be explored, before mass tourism grips the country once again and it becomes no. 2 on my wish list.

3) Greenland
This wish stems from childhood and I'm not even sure where it orginated. But what a unexplored and mysterious place it seems and how I'd love to go there.

4) Peru
In fact a lot of South America would be on my list but if I have to pick one to start off with then this is it. The inca trail is something I'd love to experience while I'm fit and able enough to really enjoy it.

5) Tanzania/Zanzibar
I loved my expereince of Kenya and would love to see more of this wonderful continent. Tanzania has the Serengeti which I would love to see and Zanzibar has the underwater vibrancy. A dream trip for me!

6) Antarctica
Okay so it's cold (which I generally don't like) and you have to cross a choppy sea to get there (which would place me in sea sickness hell) but I'd love to see this part of the world. I've read the Antarctica pages of some VT'ers and been seduced even more. Now if only I had a spare few grand....

7) Trinidad and Tobago
I was supposed to go here in 2005 but had to cancel due to my father becoming ill. The sunshine, diving, calypso and rum all appeals to me and one day I will complete my travel plans to see these islands.

Underwater Adventuring

I am a scuba diver with not many dives logged due to living in Scotland where there are some apparently great dive sites as long as you don't mind being cold. I do.

I am becoming more and more enthused about the underwater world following recent dive experiences in Gozo and Lakshadweep and am now researching the next diving destination that won't cost the earth to reach.

Comments or tips on good and accessible dive destinations gratefully received!

Music Musings

Now all the world loves a list. Or at least the Brits seem to, given the amount of 'Top 100....films/albums/comedy moments programmes we have constantly on the TV in this country. I'd like a 'Top 100 things to rant about' list but instead I thought I'd list some international singers and bands that I particularly like.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'd like to share (with other people interested in collecting music they've not heard of before) my tips and interests and I'd like you to do the same. I love the website Amazon for that reason - people's lists of great albums and reviews of previously unknown to me artists have brought some gems.

I'd like to collect recommendations of good music from all around the world -indian sitar, west african blues, gospel, jazz, soul, funk, rock, bhangra, classical, psychedelia - if you think you know of something unusual and special I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

I'm off to collate my list...

Literary Lessons

Just a little bit about books and only because when I read something that blows my mind I always like to try and force it onto everybody I know...

I've just finished a wonderful book called 'A Language Older than Words' written by the amazing Derrick Jensen which is inspirational.

An old favourite is 'Wind, Sand and Stars' by Antoine de Saint Exupery. It reminded me of my humanity and that life is precious.

From the bestseller market is 'The Life of Pi' which I found delightful (animals and India - what's not to love!) . I went to see the author Yann Martel do a book reading at Edinburgh zoo and got my copy signed. Tiger cubs had just been born at the zoo at the time - happy days!

• Intro Updated Apr 11, 2008

• Durfun's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Wow, So you're an Anglo-Irish-Indian who has been to Lakshadweep & Sharm! How do they compare? I have both destinations in my sights but haven't been to either yet.. Please help me choose ;-)

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2010 at 4:02 AM

Hi Candice, Long time ago ! We wish you a fantastic 2010. Friendly regards from cold Belgium . JP

• sartreseye's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Nice site. You've good taste is music...some that I like but forgot that I liked. Heading to Aberdeen and Inverness this summer to see the old family stomping grounds. Like you, India and Greenland are high on my list also! Take care.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2008 at 10:31 AM

Happy Birthday from sunny California! Here's to many more wonderful years!

• nightcowboy's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2007 at 2:39 PM

What a good page you write a lot of v-good commen sense. Have you been to Marrakesh if not I belive you would like very much 3/4 day visit?. Mind they d'ont treat animals very good ,only respect cats. Walk in peace

• Jul 11, 2007 at 11:41 AM

did you check out the music i left for you or what???

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2007 at 12:01 AM

So nice to hear from you... :) Alright, I have a music recommendation for you - Natacha Atlas (this dreamy Arabic singer, very Marrakech meets Mumbai vibe). Do check her out and let me know what you think! Drop in again and tell me your stories, Siddharth

• shoma's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 8:56 PM

hi cherry, loved to read your pages. happy travelling in india in nov. lets meet up in jaipur. cheers......

• sunlovey's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Whoa.... Just read your homepage en route to replying to your comment. Cool, very cool. I agree with much of what you've said, that always feels good doesn't it? Anyway, yes, India in November for moi! Am elated.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 2:56 AM

Hi! Just stumbled across your homepage and absolutely love your insights :-) Greetings from another absolute animal-lover / Jess in Dubai

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
cherrybug's Profile Photo

cherrybug

“If you have no money, be polite.”

Location