"Visiting the man with the iron mask" Île Sainte-Marguerite by chbuchie
Île Sainte-Marguerite Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 41 photos
The "Iles de Lérins" is a small archipelago just off the coast of Cannes and part of the commune of Cannes. This archipelago consists of the island of Sainte-Marguerite and Saint-Honorat
Both islands can be reached by boat in respectively 30min and 15min. To preserve the nature, both islands are pedestrian-only; no motor vehicles are allowed.
Feel free to have a look at my other VT Page on Ile Saint-Honorat , which is the smaller, further, island, an additional 15 minutes by boat from the ferry landing of Sainte-Marguerite. Although small, the walks are still nice, and there's the Cisterian abbey to visit, which includes a gift shop of locally produced products.
Between the islands is a shallow, protected passage, the "Plateau du Milieu", a popular anchor point for the pleasure boats of the region.
Ile Sainte-Marguerite is the larger, and nearer, island, with fertile soil and magnificent trees, notably Aleppo pinesis and eucalyptus, also wide paths criss-crossing the length and breadth. The port area, where the ferry lands, has cafés and restaurants, Its castle 'le Fort Royal' is well known as the man in the "iron mask" was imprisoned here.
This is a nice place to chill out for a day, with a lovely nature scene as u can walk around at your leisure in about 2hours.
Ferries from Cannes take you to Ste Marguerite / St Honorat in 15' / 30', both for 10 euro, on an enjoyable trip over... more travel advice
indeed Ste Marguerite is located between the island of St Honorat and Cannes, as you can see from the following photos more travel advice
chbuchie's Related Pages
Île Sainte-Marguerite Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rich in history and nature."
- "L'ile Sainte-Marguerite"
- "Visiting the man with the iron mask"
- "Who Was the Man in the Iron Mask?"
- "The Man in the Iron Mask island"
- "Île Sainte-Marguerite - escape from Cannes!"
- "Ile Sainte-Marguerite"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île Sainte-Marguerite
- Transportation in Île Sainte-Marguerite
- Warnings and Dangers in Île Sainte-Marguerite
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Île Sainte-Marguerite
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Île Sainte-Marguerite?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île Sainte-Marguerite
- Posted in Travel Rurrenabaque Forum "Re: Planning 5 unforgettable..."
- Commented on one of NiceLife's Île Sainte-Marguerite travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Napoleon's legacy"
- Wrote a Review The ferry from chaos to peace & quiet in Île Sainte-Marguerite Transportation
- updated a Île Sainte-Marguerite Travel Page "Visiting the man with the iron mask"
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 33 reviews, 116 photos
- Sofia Intro, 27 reviews, 89 photos
- Valencia Intro, 14 reviews, 64 photos
- Pirin Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honfleur Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Étretat Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos
- Plovdiv Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 7 reviews, 33 photos
- Rila Intro, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plzen Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos