"Ile St-Honorat" Île Saint-Honorat by chbuchie
Île Saint-Honorat Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 62 photos
About half the size of Ile Ste-Marguerite(where the man in the "iron mask" was imprisoned), the other Island of 'les iles de Lerins' has fertile soil and magnificent trees, notably Aleppo pinesis and is less than half an hour away from Cannes by Ferry.
It has been the site of a monastery since the 5th century and today the Cistercian monks are the only inhabitants on the island. Much of the monastery is surprisingly modern, with the exception of the ruins of the 11th-century monastery on the sea’s edge. The monks organise tours of the island and try to sell their produce to tourists including homemade wine, honey and lavender oil. The monastery also welcomes visitors for week-long retreats.
This is a nice place to chill out for a day, with a lovely nature scene as u can walk around the island (1500m long by 400m wide and some 3km in circumference) in less than an hour. At the south side you'll find a big Monastery that you can climb up to get a wide view over the island & the Mediterranean Sea.
- Pros:nice nature, forest & rocky beaches, quiet
- In a nutshell:a quiet evasion out of the hasty cote-d'azur lifestyle
Take a few hours to wander around the island and admire the rocky beach formation all around it. Many places will invite... more travel advice
chbuchie's Related Pages
Île Saint-Honorat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beautifull Île Saint-Honorat"
- "Ile St-Honorat"
- "The ancient sanctuary island in the rain"
- "Saint-Honorat - Little sister of Saint-Margueritte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île Saint-Honorat
- Hotels in Île Saint-Honorat
- Transportation in Île Saint-Honorat
- Nightlife in Île Saint-Honorat
- Restaurants in Île Saint-Honorat
- Shopping in Île Saint-Honorat
- Warnings and Dangers in Île Saint-Honorat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Île Saint-Honorat
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Île Saint-Honorat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île Saint-Honorat
Top 10 Pages
- Prague Intro, 33 reviews, 116 photos
- Sofia Intro, 27 reviews, 89 photos
- Valencia Intro, 14 reviews, 64 photos
- Pirin Intro, 14 reviews, 63 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honfleur Intro, 8 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Étretat Intro, 9 reviews, 34 photos
- Plovdiv Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 7 reviews, 33 photos
- Rila Intro, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Plzen Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos