"Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG" Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg by JessH
Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,044 reviews and 2,752 photos
I step out of the train, walk past an eccentric, hippy-like street musician and a group of nattering Japanese tourists. In the station's main lobby a couple is kissing; the boy is wearing a large rucksack; the girl is crying. A history teacher is yelling at the top of her voice, trying to control her school class. A familiar, longed-for smell grabs my nostrils' attention: the doors to the bakery are open & lure me inside. I exit with a bag of warm goodness, and hand one of the Brezeln to the homeless man by the bicycle stands outside the train station.
I wait and within a few minutes, I hear the nostalgic clattering & creaking of the approaching old tram. The man next to me is wearing John-Lennon-glasses and carries an old-looking leather briefcase. He helps the smiling Turkish mother to lift her baby stroller up the steps.
A few minutes later, I disembark the tram at the Bismarktplatz. A student with blue hair runs past me, shoving a flyer into my hand saying "our voice counts! Together we can save the world!" Before I can ask what she's campaigning for this week, she's gone. Suddenly 4 orange-robe-clad Hare Krishna sing & prance past me, and hand me a flower.
I briefly stand still, look up towards the green hills rising behind the red sand-stone buildings. I inhale deeply: a mix of perfumes wafts out of the shopping mall's open doors; car fumes; another bakery tempts those who pass-by; the sweet smell of fresh flowers being sold nearby. I open my eyes and the group of Japanese tourists loudly pushes past me. Just as I'm about to feel slightly aggravated, the 2 elderly ladies walk past me, they've hooked arms & support each other. One says: "You know, Gertrude, I really love our trips into the city. Every single time feels special."
The cobbles under my feet feel so authentic (& slightly uncomfortable).
The red sandstone buildings frame the city much like a painting on canvas.
Of course, it's crowded. Much here is overpriced. There are many tourists, and the few hippies that still sit around the fountain aren't as "cool" as they were in the 70s. But that doesn't matter:
I exhale slowly, smile to myself and enter the pedestrian precinct.
I step into a landscape painting that seems to have come alive.
This is John and I sitting near the old bridge down by the Neckar river on a gorgeous July day in 2004...
(Commemorative stamp of Heidelberg)
Don't forget to take a peek into my Hotel & Accomodations Page... insider ***HOTEL TIP*** for the centre of the Old Town! ;-)
I actually come from a small village near Heidelberg (Muehlhausen), but I was born in Heidelberg & spent a lot of time there as it is the next nearest city, and a bit more "buzzing" than our quiet village life...
Heidelberg is mostly known for its University & castle, of course, but it has much more to offer. The surrounding areas around the river Neckar are beautiful in any season, and a walk along the vineyards or a train-ride along the river is a must.
(there are a lot of young people here because they're *students*.. but Heidelberg is still a city for all ages ;-) Have a look at my "Things to do" to find out about the famous & delicious *Student's Kiss*...
COME & VISIT AGAIN SOON!
I'M ALWAYS ADDING NEW TIPS & PHOTOS!
I believe that not only Heidelberg - but the whole of Germany - is beautiful during any season and any weather.
I would never advise anyone not to travel in autumn, or to only visit during summer. Any time of the year has its own beautiful face.
And if you're lucky enough to get snow & a white Christmas whilst your sipping a cup of mulled wine (Gluehwein) & browsing through the Xmas Market (Weihnachtsmarkt) on the "Universitaetsplatz"... yiipiiih!
Have a look at the travelogue below, to see the guided tour of the old town during VT's EuroMeet 2008!
- Pros:So much history, so much life, so much beauty (and I'm still trying to be unbiased!)
- Cons:So much beauty comes with a price: hoards of tourists!!!
- In a nutshell:A great place with easy connections to the surrounding areas
There are two types of gingerbread in Germany: the type that is cut into shapes, i.e. the famous Gingerbread Men, and... more travel advice
The first evidence of human life in Europe was found in Heidelberg: In 1907 a jaw-bone was discovered in a gravel pit... more travel advice
- See All Historic, Central, Inviting... but not...
- See All Take a Cruise along the Neckar River
- See All Greek Food in the "new town"
- See All "Clothes, Joy and Music for Sale" :-)
JessH's Related Pages
Heidelberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- "This is not Heidelberg Castle, is it???"
- "Huckleberry Berg"
- "Heidelberg – a constant inspiration"
- "Nemorino in Heidelberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heidelberg
- Hotels in Heidelberg
- Transportation in Heidelberg
- Nightlife in Heidelberg
- Restaurants in Heidelberg
- Shopping in Heidelberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Heidelberg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Heidelberg
- 54 Reviews
- 186 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 60 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Heidelberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heidelberg
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Toblerone chocolate"
- Uploaded a Photo to "*HD Fruehling*: SPRING MUSIC FESTIVAL 29.03-25.04"
- Wrote a Review Recipe for soft German Gingerbread (Lebkuchen) about Food and Drink in Heidelberg Local Customs
- updated a Heidelberg Travel Page "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- Commented on one of OH_DK's Heidelberg travel pages
Photos in HeidelbergSee All Photos (186)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 175 reviews, 631 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 82 reviews, 348 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 54 reviews, 178 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 45 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 22 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mühlhausen Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Heidelberg hotel reviews
- Crowne Plaza Heidelberg
- 286 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Weisser Bock
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Hotel Hollander Hof
- 173 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Alt Heidelberg
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Hotel Regina
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Hotel Goldene Rose
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Zum Seppl
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 25, 2013
- Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- Marriott Heidelberg Hotel
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Denner Hotel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- NH Hotel Heidelberg
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Gasthaus Hackteufel
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Anlage
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 23, 2013
- Hotel Classic Inn
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013