"Peaceful, quiet, low prices, extreme sports" Umm al Qaywayn by JessH
Umm al Qaywayn Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 110 photos
For 3 years Umm Al Quwain was our home: to escape the high rents, construction noise, traffic jams & pollution of Dubai, we had opted to live "rural" and commute to the city for our jobs...
It is peaceful & quiet, with a much more relaxed & calm way of life, surrounded by natural beauty that hasn't yet been destroyed; mostly unspoilt desert dunes, and lush mangrove swamps: a complete contrast to the buzzing & hectic cities of Dubai & Abu Dhabi.
Most expatriates loves "escaping" from Dubai once in a while, heading north along the coast, & spending some time in this relaxing & "down-to-earth" emirate. It's perfect for a day-trip or for a whole weekend. Naturally, there are not as many things to do as in Dubai, but you can fill your days with simple pleasures, sight seeing & taking in the calming effect these smaller emirates tend to have on us... a break from the big city, the rat-race, the traffic, construction noise and chaos.
The tourist centre is located in the Umm Al Quwain lagoon where the natural green islands provide shelter for several square miles of clean & unpolluted water without the hazard of rough open sea, which is ideal for water sports & small boat activities.
All in all - if you're in the UAE for a few extra days and want to get out of the big cities, visit Umm Al Quwain: it's lovely!
Pictures from the past of Umm Al Quwain: http://www.gulfnews.com/gngalleries/galleries/10241731.html
On the other hand, this vast desert offers enough space & resources for plenty of exiting action: Umm Al Quwain is the fastest growing spot for extreme sports.
The scream of people as they jump off their planes can be heard in the air, the smell of burnt rubber looms over the area & the booming sound of shotguns fired into the air awakens people from their dreamy state.
Living life on the edge mixed with a tinge of insane fun and a dash of daring sports marks the qualities that make Umm Al Quwain an extremely fun visit for anyone!
Click here for my tip on Sky Diving!
If you prefer to be where Isaac Newton intended us to be: on the ground! head to Dreamland AquaPark and cool-off for a day.
This was the 1st waterpark in the UAE and even though it never seems to get really busy, it's still doing well & is quite entertaining.
It's larger than Dubai's Wild Wadi Waterpark and has a larger area for kids, plus more innovative rides that are nice for all ages. It's nowhere near as modern but I really enjoyed it!
Click here for my tip on Dreamland!
- Pros:Peaceful & Relaxed; uniquely different from Dubai; Cheap!
- Cons:Still slightly underdeveloped in some areas
- In a nutshell:A breath of fresh air in the emirates!
Umm Al Quwain is the smalles of the 7 emirates. The total area of the emirate is equivalent to 1% of the country's total... more travel advice
I haven't actually stayed at this hotel myself, but I've enjoyed a cup of coffee there, and my mother is a tour guide... more travel advice
JessH's Related Pages
Umm al Qaywayn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Umm Al Quwain"
- "Peaceful, quiet, low prices, extreme sports"
- "Umm Al Quwain"
- "Unchanged, eternal Arabia"
- "Little emirate far north the UAE"
- "Umm al Quwain"
- "Fortress - Museum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Umm al Qaywayn
- Hotels in Umm al Qaywayn
- Transportation in Umm al Qaywayn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Umm al Qaywayn
- 6 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Umm al Qaywayn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Umm al Qaywayn
- Posted in Travel Dubai Forum "Re: pricing"
- updated a Umm al Qaywayn Travel Page "Peaceful, quiet, low prices, extreme sports"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our house, in the middle of our street. PART 2"
- Wrote a Review General Info and History of Umm Al Quwain in Umm al Qaywayn Favorites
- Commented on one of josephescu's Umm al Qaywayn travel pages
Photos in Umm al QaywaynSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 175 reviews, 631 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 82 reviews, 348 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 54 reviews, 178 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 45 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 39 reviews, 137 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 22 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mühlhausen Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues