"Home is where the family is..." Mühlhausen by JessH

Mühlhausen Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 48 photos

This is where I'm from!

This small village is my home turf. Contrary to the mind-set of the USA and other countries, there's no shame in being a "small town girl" in Germany :-)

This is where my mother was born, where my grandparents still live, where I attended primary school, where I got my first vaccination shot, where I had my first kiss, where I got my first pet dog, and where I fell out of my first tree...

It's not a hot tourist destination; but you're likely to be passing through our small village when driving through the surrounding areas of Heidelberg, Wiesloch, Karlsruhe and Speyer.

I'll be returning to visit my family this Christmas (2007) so feel free to revisit my pages for updates :-)

A sign at the village limits reads:
"Harmonish umgeben von Sonne & Reben" = "Harmonically surrounded by sun and vines"
Click here for the history of the village

(the small red sign says "rabies risk area"... don't worry about it: it's been there for decades & just indicates what we all know - most of Europe has areas where you *might* once in a blue moon come across a wild animal with rabies. That's all.
I've never been attacked by a pack of squirrels with foamy mouths, and neither will you... ;-)

Check out the village's very-own website: (sorry, only in German)

--> Also check-out my travelogues for more photos below :-)

• Pros:Quiet, clean, friendly, central yet rural... simply picturesque!
  • Cons:Too much commuter-traffic at certain times
  • In a nutshell:The preffered choice of many Germans: work in the city, live in a village!
  • Last visit to Mühlhausen: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2008

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2011 at 3:09 AM

What a nice place to grow up! I liked the tip about the ice-cream man. Running out to the van was a memory from my childhood too. :-)

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Enjoyed reading some of your many pages. Will be back. Like you I'm a Libra, referee Volleyball and donate blood. My oldest son is 1 mos older then you and Huey Lewis is coming to my town on his b'day.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2008 at 2:50 PM

A great read about a small town :-) Indeed it has an international touch and should be more famous ;-) Why do you have a Bayernfest in Kraichgau? I lived not far from another Mühlhausen (A 8 - Albaufstieg)... And yes, ice-cream must be Italian :-))) Sissi

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2008 at 7:39 AM

what a marvellously intersting and funny page - packs of squirrels with foamy mouths! - hoot!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2008 at 8:24 PM

Great page on your home town. It has a lot more going for it than mine did. But they are about the same size.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM

Great Kuhschwanz story!!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 3:24 AM

Excellent detailed tips. Like the one of fermenting grapes :)

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2007 at 6:59 PM

Hi Jess, your charming village set rich & fertile hill country with trees planted where there are no buildings or farms sounds AWESOME. I hope to visit your beautiful country for the next EuroMeet.Nice page !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Happy birthday, Jess! Your home village sounds like an idyllic little place. Greetings from Frankfurt am Main in the middle of the annual Frankfurt Book Fair.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2007 at 2:28 PM

If you're going to be homesick anyway; why not think about Giovanni's gelato van... NOW! Can you name some flavors? Mmm. Nice to know there's a Chinese restaurant by Luna Hotel. Yum! The Scottish conspiracy to take over your German village is funny too!

JessH Used To Live Here!

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Badges & Stats in Mühlhausen

Have you been to Mühlhausen?