"Amsterdam - that smell that lingers..." Amsterdam by JessH

Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,251 reviews and 21,505 photos

Tulips, Cheese, askew Houses and "Herbs"

Amsterdam is unique. It's lovely, quirky, naughty & nice all thrown together, and somehow the mix works really well!

The smells my title refers to are the herring, the cheese-shops, the public urinals, the canals and the dog-s**t - the tulips alone aren't enough to make the city sweet-smelling on a hot summer's afternoon, but I think it belongs to the city's character and charm, just like the tilting houses that made me ask "Are those houses really falling-over or am I still stoned...?"

UPDATE 2007: Did you know that apparently the Dutch are the world's tallest people in modern times?
Even I felt like a "shortie" here! hahaa!

Things to do, etc.

My fiance lived in Amsterdam for a year whilst studying at SAE: School of Audio Engineering.

WEBSITE: http://www.sae.edu/

... like a bridge, over smelly water...

The famous canals of Amsterdam

• Pros:Nice museums, parks, unique architecture and of course "coffee" shops!
  • Cons:In summer it's a wee bit smelly, in winter the strong wind can tear your face off!
  • In a nutshell:Definitely one of Europe's best cities to visit
  • Last visit to Amsterdam: Jul 2001
  • Intro Updated Jan 29, 2008

• RoyJava's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Yep, I used to work in A'dam for about 20 years, loved to shop, loved to have party time, still love my friends, although could never actually live in A'dam... so right, greets Roy

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2008 at 1:11 AM

I think the canals in Venice smell worst :)

• schurlif's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2007 at 6:06 PM

Lol !! I know what you're talking about...... This is why Camila and I first visited one of those special coffee houses for a good smoke... After that we didn't care about cyclists, doggy poop or trams and we still survived.....

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 1:47 AM

There are 2 bells on bicycle for a reason! haha. PJ

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2005 at 6:22 AM

I've almost been on the receiving end of a tram several times teach me to watch where I'm going .... straight into a bicycle.... dope

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2005 at 3:53 AM

Funny and sage advice...

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

Have you been to Amsterdam?