"Amsterdam - that smell that lingers..." Amsterdam by JessH
Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,204 reviews and 21,373 photos
Amsterdam is unique. It's lovely, quirky, naughty & nice all thrown together, and somehow the mix works really well!
The smells my title refers to are the herring, the cheese-shops, the public urinals, the canals and the dog-s**t - the tulips alone aren't enough to make the city sweet-smelling on a hot summer's afternoon, but I think it belongs to the city's character and charm, just like the tilting houses that made me ask "Are those houses really falling-over or am I still stoned...?"
UPDATE 2007: Did you know that apparently the Dutch are the world's tallest people in modern times?
Even I felt like a "shortie" here! hahaa!
My fiance lived in Amsterdam for a year whilst studying at SAE: School of Audio Engineering.
The famous canals of Amsterdam
- Pros:Nice museums, parks, unique architecture and of course "coffee" shops!
- Cons:In summer it's a wee bit smelly, in winter the strong wind can tear your face off!
- In a nutshell:Definitely one of Europe's best cities to visit
My fiance lived in Amsterdam for a year, and as a lover of all things sweet he soon discovered one of the most popular... more travel advice
JessH's Related Pages
Amsterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "MY BIRTHPLACE"
- "God made the Dutch, but the Dutch made Holland"
- "Amsterdam - I love it!"
- "Amsterdam, is it real?"
- "Amsterdam, where the Dutch money is spend"
- "Amsterdam! The most liberal city in the World"
- "dila's new Amsterdam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amsterdam
- Hotels in Amsterdam
- Transportation in Amsterdam
- Nightlife in Amsterdam
- Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Shopping in Amsterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Amsterdam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amsterdam
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Amsterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amsterdam
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Toblerone chocolate"
- Wrote a Review Stroopwafel = Dutch Caramel Syrup Cookies about Stroopwafel in Amsterdam Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stroopwafel = Dutch Caramel Syrup Cookies"
- updated a Amsterdam Travel Page "Amsterdam - that smell that lingers..."
- Commented on one of LrSorr's Amsterdam travel pages
Photos in AmsterdamSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 175 reviews, 631 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 82 reviews, 348 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 54 reviews, 178 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 45 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 22 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mühlhausen Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues