Prague Favorite Tips by JessH
Prague Favorites: 758 reviews and 972 photos
Enjoying the view over Prague (Nov. 2010)
Favorite thing: *
Prague is the capital of the Czech Republic, a small country wedged between Germany, Austria, Slovakia and Poland. The city covers approx. 496 sq.km and the population (year 2011) is ca. 1.2 Mio.
In 1992 the historical centre of Prague covering an area of 866 hectares was listed in the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage Register. Since the Middle Ages Prague has been known as one of the most beautiful cities in the world, described with adjectives such as "golden", "hundred spires", "the crown of the world." Over the centuries the city has embraced all artistic styles and movements.
The historical core of the city is situated on both banks of the Vltava river.
Czech is the official languages, but you'll find plenty of people who speak English and also German.
Czech Koruna (Crown) (CZK) =100 Hellers.
As the official currency, the Czech crown is the best and often the only possible currency to use when paying. Although the Czech Republic is part of the European Union, the Euro is not widely accepted, yet (year 2011). Some stores, restaurants and hotels accept payments in Euros but the exchange rate may not be that good.
The normal electricity supply is 220 volts. Sockets are two-forked.
Traffic circulation is on the right.
Central European Time (GMT +1).
Fondest memory: *
When Nature Calls:
Public toilets are usually only free in galleries and museums. Otherwise, you will have to pay usually 5 CZK to 10 CZK (have some coins with you).
> New Year's Day (January 1)
> Easter Monday (late March or early April)
> Labour Day (May 1)
> Liberation Day (May 8)
> Feast Day of St. Cyril and St. Methodius (July 5)
> Jan Hus Day (July 6)
> Day of the Czech statehood (September 28)
> Foundation of the independent Czechoslovak State (October 28)
> Day of Students' Fight for Freedom and Democracy (November 17)
> Christmas (December 24-26)
Most shops operate from Monday to Friday, 8am or 9am to 5pm and on Saturdays mornings as well. Major retail stores (e.g. Tesco) and shopping centres are open from 8am to 10pm every day including weekends, and some are even open 24 hours a day.
> General Emergency: 112
> Police: 158
> Ambulance: 155
> Fire Department: 150.
Tourist signs in Old Town, Prague (Nov. 2010)
Favorite thing: As Prague is such a tourist-oriented city you'll never have to look far to find someone who speaks English.
Nevertheless, I think it's simple common courtesy to always learn the basics in the native tongue, whatever country you visit. And would you know it - most seem to appreciate the effort and it may even force a smile onto the even grumpiest waiter's face :-)
(I'll write the Czech words phonetically... mainly because it's easier, and also because VT won't support certain letters and symbols!)
Fondest memory: Some useful words in Czech:
Hello! - Dobreeden!
Please - Proseem.
Thank You - Dyekooye.
Yes - Ahno.
No - Nay.
One - Yedden.
Two - Dvah.
Goodbye - Nashledanow.
So, what have we learned today class? All together now:
"Dvah Pils, Proseem" ;-)
More Reviews (11)
- See All An elegant, traditional slice of...
- Seen at Prague Castle...
- Czech Specialities - Food in Prague
JessH's Related Pages
Prague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "What a great and romantic place !"
- "The beautiful town of Prague"
- "Peramble Around Prague"
- "prague czech republic"
- "Praha is amazing!"
- "Prague-One of Europe's Best"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Prague
- Hotels in Prague
- Transportation in Prague
- Nightlife in Prague
- Restaurants in Prague
- Shopping in Prague
- Warnings and Dangers in Prague
- See All...
Explore the World
- Orinoco Hotels
- Toyota Hotels
- Van Wert Hotels
- Shanklin Hotels
Badges & Stats in Prague
- 13 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Prague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Prague
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Toblerone chocolate"
- Wrote a Review An elegant, traditional slice of old-wordly charm about Cafe Slavia in Prague Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Czech Specialities - Food in Prague"
- created a Prague Travelogue "Our night in the Medieval Tavern "U Pavouka""
- Commented on one of azadeh1's Prague travel pages
Photos in PragueSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 175 reviews, 631 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 82 reviews, 348 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 54 reviews, 178 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 45 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 22 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mühlhausen Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (50)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Prague hotel reviews
- Adeba Hotel Prague
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- City Crown
- 36 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 6, 2011
- Club Habitat
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2005
- Hostel SPUS Ladvi
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 31, 2008
- Blue Key Hotel Prague
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 22, 2006
- Astra Krasova I Prague
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2011
- Parkhotel Prague
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- David's Guest House
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- Hostel Center
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2006
- City Partner Hotel Victoria
- 103 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Art Hotel Prague
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 1, 2013
- Hostel Marabou
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 10, 2013
- Lida Guest House
- 278 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Hotel Melantrich
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Old Town Apartments
- 160 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- St Vitus's Cathedral- 302 Reviews, 540 Photos
- Charles Bridge- 435 Reviews, 796 Photos
- Wenceslas Square- 150 Reviews, 261 Photos
- Old-Town Hall & Astronomical Clock- 295 Reviews, 487 Photos
- Castle- 372 Reviews, 668 Photos
- Old-Town Square- 255 Reviews, 452 Photos
- Church of Our Lady before Tyn- 131 Reviews, 217 Photos
- Vltava river and bridges- 90 Reviews, 192 Photos
- Golden Lane- 111 Reviews, 178 Photos
- St Nicholas's Church- 138 Reviews, 247 Photos
See All Prague Things to Do