"Sydney - beautiful, cosmopolitan, unique!" Sydney by JessH

Sydney Travel Guide: 5,886 reviews and 13,851 photos

Growing up "Down-under"

My parents immigrated to Australia in 1982, when I was just 18 months old. We stayed for 6 years, until we reluctantly left the Southern Hemisphere and headed back to good old Germany.

I like to attribute many inches of my 6-foot height to the sun, the seafood & running around barefoot on the warm earth of Australia :-)

I won't be able to build many tips on Australia, as I was a child and my parents were the ones choosing on where to go, what to do, and had the camera and memory to recall it all! Secondly, and sadly, I haven't been back to Australia since we left, so surely Sydney and its suburbs have changed beyond recognition for me.

But I wanted to share some of my thoughts & feelings about
this wonderful place that was our "home away from home" from 1982 - 1988.

I couldn't have imagined a better childhood for myself! It was brilliant, and I miss it every day.

Australia Day
26th January 1988

Celebrating 200 Years!

(The tall one is me... obviously :-)

My first year at school (Matthew Pearce Public School in Baulkham Hills)

1986

More of my childhood photos can be found here...

• Last visit to Sydney: Apr 1988
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2006

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 5:55 AM

stunniing sunset over sydney pic!! i am blessed to be able to call sydney home too - and will get back there eventually. youve done some xlent travels, thanks for your xlent pages.

• babettu's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2006 at 8:29 AM

I really like your sunset pic ! ! visiting Sydney in December. Good luck Stephen

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2006 at 10:33 PM

What a pic!!!!!!!! another nice page

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 5:40 AM

Ah lovely memories of Sydney. I left Sydney in 1983, so we just crossed over.

• imstress's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2006 at 1:09 AM

love the sunset pic on your page!

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2005 at 2:43 PM

You should go back.... We love that country (especially in January when it is cold in Canada!). Beautiful people, lifestyle and beer. Safe travels from travelling Canadians!

• adelaidean's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 11:26 PM

Come back to oz one day and visit us!!!!!

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2005 at 9:36 AM

My family and I had a great visit to your long-ago hometown in June. We loved Sydney and had a wonderful time.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 6:11 AM

G'Day Jesica. In 1986 I was teaching just up the road at Jasper Road Public School, little knowing that I would be a Principal one day. A belated welcome to VT to you an ex-Sydneysider.

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Badges & Stats in Sydney