"Dubai's Cultural Sister: SHARJAH" Sharjah by JessH
Sharjah Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 707 photos
Since 1985, Sharjah has been known as "the dry emirate" (but surprisingly, non-Muslims can purchase alcohol in Sharjah airport?s duty free section).
Also, it's good to be aware of the fact that this emirate is a little more conservative than "sin city Dubai": both women AND men should adhere to a more sensible and respectable dress code when in Sharjah.
But where Sharjah lacks in modern sophistications and glamour, it by far outshines Dubai with its cultural and historical sights. In the craze of megalomaniac projects and construction, Dubai quickly forgot about its own history and has all but demolished any traces of the past, but in Sharjah the UAE's heritage is alive and well. It proudly calls itself "The cultural capital of the UAE."
I have to admit: I have lived in the UAE since 1998 and rarely visit Sharjah, which is a shame. The main deterrent is simply traffic chaos: cost of living tends to be quite a bit cheaper than in Dubai, so hundreds of thousands of people commute to Dubai, turning a 15 kilometre stretch of road into a 3-hour gridlock nightmare each and every day.
But this coming winter, I definitely and traffic-defiantly plan more trips into Sharjah city!
It is the 3rd largest of the 7 United Arab Emirates and is ruled by H.H. Dr Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qassimi (since 1972).
- Pros:Rich in culture & history, much underestimated treasure to be found.
- Cons:More conservative, no nightlife, heavy traffic conjestion.
- In a nutshell:If you are looking for UAE heritage & culture, this is the place to be
So many visitors and expatriates to the United Arab Emirates fall in love with the heavy, dark-wood furniture and rich... more travel advice
Sharjah has a rich legacy of arts, heritage and culture and promotes itself as "the UAE"s cultural capital". The emirate... more travel advice
JessH's Related Pages
Sharjah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once in December..."
- "Our Neibour to the North"
- "The hidden treasure..."
- "Quiter than Dubai"
- "United Arab Emirates"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sharjah
- Hotels in Sharjah
- Transportation in Sharjah
- Nightlife in Sharjah
- Restaurants in Sharjah
- Shopping in Sharjah
- Warnings and Dangers in Sharjah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sharjah
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Sharjah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sharjah
Photos in SharjahSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 175 reviews, 631 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Scotland Intro, 82 reviews, 348 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Heidelberg Intro, 54 reviews, 178 photos, 2 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 45 reviews, 157 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Inverness Intro, 39 reviews, 136 photos, 3 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 31 reviews, 116 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi Intro, 22 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 1 travelogue
- Warsaw Intro, 12 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mühlhausen Intro, 12 reviews, 48 photos, 2 travelogues