"Ko Samui - something for everyone" Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Samui by JessH

Ko Samui Travel Guide: 1,127 reviews and 2,473 photos

In the Land of Smiles

This photo was taken on the top terrace of the Big Buddha.

I actually do really hate looking like a typical tourist, but on this day I needed the hat because my forehead was sunburnt, and Johnno wanted his camera at-the-ready at all times...
Seriously; how cheesy is this picture?! hahahah!

More info on Big Buddha here

NOTE: Due to incredible laziness & VT-Miscellanous Forum addiction I'm actually STILL in the process of adding tips on occasion... so come and have a look once in a while. Tips & photos are still being added!

Travel alone, with partner, with friends or family

I believe Koh Samui is great for any type of traveller: be it a backpacker, a family with kids, the romantic couple, or simply a group of friends looking for fun in the sun! There is also something for every budget: the backpacking motel, cozy bungalows on the beach or 5-star luxury resorts.

I also found it to be quite safe and didn't really feel that I couldn't go anywhere in particular, be it in the tourist centres or more towards the centre of the island.

Thankfully Koh Samui was unaffected by the Tsunami in Dec.2004, as it lies in the Gulf of Thailand.

My particular interest in Samui lies with the Dog & Cat Rescue Centre Samui / DRCS.Thanks to the tireless efforts of this amazing German wife-and-husband team, Ko Samui is the ONLY Thai island free of rabies.
IF YOU FIND A DOG/CAT THAT IS IN URGENT NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION OR SHELTER, CALL THEM ON: 0066 77 413 490 or 0066 81 893 94 43.

--> Check my Accomodation Tips for Animal-Friendly Hotels!

Chaweng Beach Road

Chaweng Beach is the busiest and most lively tourist-oriented area of Kho Samui. Loads of bars, restaurants, cafes, pubs, shops, street vendors, malls, art galleries... you get the picture.

We stayed at the Amari Palm Reef at the top-end of the road - a bit quietr and more secluded there, but it's only a 10 min walk into the bustling centre! If you stay at the bottom-end of the road, you'll be closer to Laim Din Market and the Soi Green Mango, where the discos/nightclubs can be found.

• Pros:Something for everyone, and lots to explore!
  • Cons:Can get a bit crowded during peak season
  • In a nutshell:A holiday with something for everyone!
  • Last visit to Ko Samui: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 9, 2008

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Nice tips

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2009 at 5:10 AM

Jess a really informative & intelligent page about Koh Samui. Great photos. I loved the coconut tip. Also the animal tips.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Another good page from you. As usual very informative. I like Will Waits very much, it must be a very refreshing place. Dog/ Pet friendly hotel is certainly a better idea.

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Great page Jessica. Trying to decide whether I'll visit Ko Samui during my trip to Thailand next year. You've moved it closer to the top on my list! Thanks for sharing

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2009 at 1:36 AM

You make me yearn for Ko Samui!!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2009 at 4:23 AM

Thanks for visiting my Helsinki page! I enjoyed your Ko Samui page. I'm in the early planning stages of a trip to Thailand. I especially like your tips about Thai banana & chocolate pancake (looks delicious!) and coconuts. Cheers!

• anne77's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2008 at 9:24 AM

Just got back from Thailand, and went to the Rescue Center in Samui to help for a day. Amazing what these people do!! Thanks for the info, was a very special day for us.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 10:31 PM

great tips Jess!

• loisl's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Great tips here, on the way to Singapore I should just stop here for a relaxing moment. Happy travelling, Peter

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 10:10 PM

Nice tips Jess on parts of Ko Samui that we missed in our two day stay (hard to believe I know, the island being so small):-)

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Badges & Stats in Ko Samui

Have you been to Ko Samui?

Latest Activity in Ko Samui