"Sensory Overload - Karachi" Top 5 Page for this destination Karachi by JessH

Karachi Travel Guide: 474 reviews and 1,011 photos

Hand me the disinfectant...& smile for the camera!

I was invited together with my fiance John and 2 friends of mine to attend a wedding in Karachi. This was our first trip to Pakistan and certainly was a great experience!

After booking our flights wit PiA (they have the most convenient flight schedule from Dubai) and applying for our visit visas, we set-off for what was to become a hectic, overpowering & insightful 3-day trip to Karachi during which we managed to see quite a lot!

Many things could be said about Karachi:
> the economic & industrial centre of Pakistan
> dirty, extremely polluted, crumbling at the edges
> very friendly people, happy to see Westerners visiting their city
> good value for money in markets, restaurants, etc.
> that slightly unsafe, dodgy feeling you get when being watched by hundreds of curious eyes

In the end, I've very much enjoyed my trip to Karachi. I'm very glad we visited and had this experience.
It's a city I'm content with having visited once, and not again :-)
This said, I'm intrigued to explore more of the rural areas of Pakistan and the gorgeous mountains in the North of the country... Insh'allah one day...

Picture with bride & groom, best man and closest cousins.

A minute of calm and silence in this hectic city...

• Pros:Buzzing, hectic, a wake-up-call in today's sheltered & censored world.
  • Cons:Dirty, hectic, a wake-up-call in today's sheltered & censored world! ;-)
  • In a nutshell:Not a good experience, not a bad experience: simply an Experience
  • Last visit to Karachi: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2007

• AdaB11's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I am really disappointed by your views to Karachi. I always look at your writing but this one was no good. I don't think you have really discovered Karachi. Karachi is much better as what you have described.

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 7:45 AM

Food is important and Veg biriani, aloo gobi, dal and chapati sound just up my street............ But then again I'm quite partial to palak paneer and chana masala all washed down with a salt lassi.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Karachi is close to me , after read your Page, i want go to visit it.

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Very informative page on Karachi. But this place also has very beautiful beach and I believe you missed their world famous food street!Please visit the pages of Faiza-Ifrah and Besal on Karachi.

• junecorlett's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 4:40 AM

I have never had the desire to visit Pakistan. Your tips just confirm my reasons, well written Jess. I just had to have a look at Pakistan through your eyes.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Fascinating and very informative page, a must-read for anybody about to visit Karachi. I can't understand the custom of slaughtering animals for the Eid either. It would spoil all the celebrations for me.

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 12:40 AM

Hi Jess :) It looks you had an amazing visit of Karachi! Excellent tips and descriptions!! I find especially useful the 'dress-code' and 'eating with Pakistani Muslim', and also the warnings. Beautiful wedding photos! And loved the colourful buses!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2008 at 10:41 AM

fascinating country, although quite dangerous

• IanMacPhail's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 10:40 AM

You certainly put the effort into your writing. Absolutely brilliant!

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2008 at 2:51 AM

I agree with u on hallal meat and animal death....beautifull open mind tip!

JessH

“I've packed my bags, I'm ready to go... ... ...”

Badges & Stats in Karachi

Have you been to Karachi?