"rural living" Wilayat Kurdufan by awladhassan
Wilayat Kurdufan Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 80 photos
We have all been to Kordofan at different times. My sister and I did community work when we were students , and our brother played football against other university teams in the region.
My experience was in a small rural community where the people grow crops and keep animals.
Our job was to teach the women through seminars and lectures on subjects like family planning, nutrition, dangers of circumcision of females, girls' education and child vaccination.
Our university sent pre-finalists in groups to do this work. We learned to live away from mod-cons and travel by camel or donkey. We helped collect crops , and learned the hardship of women trying to survive in an often harsh environment.
Agriculture tends to berain-fed. If there are good rains, crops can be plentiful, if they fail, the people face hardship and misery, both for themselves and their animals.
Water is frequently a serious problem in Kordofan, even in the towns like El obeid.
Originally the people of this area were nomadic herders, following their animals in the search for grazing and pasture. Sudanese cattle are well-known throughout the Middle East and large numbers are sold to Egypt and Saudi Arabia. The herds may walk hundreds of miles from their homelands to be sold in Khartoum, after being fed again to replace the weight they have lost on the journey.
awladhassan's Related Pages
Wilayat Kurdufan Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Wilayat Kurdufan
- Hotels in Wilayat Kurdufan
- Transportation in Wilayat Kurdufan
- Nightlife in Wilayat Kurdufan
- Restaurants in Wilayat Kurdufan
- Shopping in Wilayat Kurdufan
- Warnings and Dangers in Wilayat Kurdufan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wilayat Kurdufan
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Wilayat Kurdufan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wilayat Kurdufan
Photos in Wilayat KurdufanSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Cairo Intro, 12 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saqqarah Intro, 3 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 6 reviews, 35 photos, 2 travelogues
- Pyramids of Giza Intro, 6 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dubai Intro, 11 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Khartoum Intro, 15 reviews, 20 photos
- Sudan Intro, 6 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Singapore Intro, 4 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rome Intro, 2 reviews, 26 photos, 3 travelogues