"Wad Medani, capital of the Gezira" Wad Madani by awladhassan

Wad Madani Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 67 photos

Wad Medani is a commercial centre of the Gezira agricultural district. It is a smaller version of Khartoum , because many British lived here and they built nice houses close to the River Nile. Wad Medani has long been a lively trading centre, and across the river on the east bank are beaches.
Medani is quite nice, and has more modern facilities than most places in the Sudan , except Khartoum .

There are hotels in Medani as it was long a favourite place for newly weds, before foreign travel became popular. And there are some good restaurants, I believe.
Moving around is fairly easy too.

One of us went to the University of Gezira, situated in Wad Medani, so it is difficult to give an unbiased opinion. To begin with I did everything in my power to get my parents to sent me back to UK to study- short of actually failing! I suffered allergies from the bats that frequented the buildings. We had to cater for ourselves, so meals were usually foul, cheese or occasionally pasta. We used to go the bakery at 2am before going to bed, to collect bread for the day. Once there was an earthquake, but because we were out getting the bread, we knew nothing until later.
I enjoyed the company, played football for the Faculty and the University, which gave me the chance of seeing much of the Sudan, but otherwise suffered in silence.

• Last visit to Wad Madani: Mar 1997
  • Intro Written Jan 27, 2007

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 5:57 AM

See`one of you was at Uni in Medani. I'm just back from a trip and took some pics with you in mind. Interested?

awladhassan Used To Live Here!

awladhassan

“itchy feet”

Badges & Stats in Wad Madani

Have you been to Wad Madani?

Latest Activity in Wad Madani