"Between the Antwerp and Brussels" Mechelen by indre_dee
Mechelen Travel Guide: 287 reviews and 739 photos
The town of Mechelen (in French: Malines) is situated half-way between Brussels and Antwerp. It has about 75.000 inhabitants. The town was founded in the early Middle-Ages on the banks of the river Dijle. It is a pleasant typical Flemish city. The town centre is a low-traffic area, which makes Mechelen a pleasant shopping city. On Saturdays the main shopping streets 'Bruul' and 'IJzerenleen' are visited by all the people of the city itself and the neighbouring villages.
The landmark of Mechelen is the huge St. Rumbold's Tower. This impressive late-medieval tower can be seen from far away. Standing close to the tower it is immediately clear that the tower was designed to become very high. The construction was stopped in the 16th century because the town of Mechelen had financial problems.
Mechelen is a small and picturesque city that is big on charm and history. It is a city thriving with quaint shops, car-free areas and amazingly pleasant little squares but is probably best known for its carillon school where students from all over the world come to learn to play church bells. One of the most pleasant experiences to have in Mechelen is to sit outside at a café sipping on a local beer while listening to the delightful bell music coming from the sky.
- Pros:Mechelen is a city for all ages.
- In a nutshell:The grace of centuries old palaces and majestic churches appeal to everyone.
It has over 400 Speciality Beers. The place is long and dark with pleasant, ethnic (Celtic, Folk) background music. It... more travel advice
Op-signoorke is an ancient doll, known for ages in the Low Countries, which, carried along in special feasts in... more travel advice
indre_dee's Related Pages
Mechelen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mechelen, where an emperor was raised"
- "Where two Margarets once ruled"
- "Did you missed it? what happened?"
- "Mechelen - Religious capital of Belgium"
- "Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers"
- "VT meeting - Part I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mechelen
- Hotels in Mechelen
- Transportation in Mechelen
- Nightlife in Mechelen
- Restaurants in Mechelen
- Shopping in Mechelen
- Warnings and Dangers in Mechelen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mechelen
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Mechelen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mechelen
Top 5 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kaunas Intro, 116 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue
- Antalya Intro, 14 reviews, 16 photos
- Antwerp Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Mechelen Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Stone Harbor Intro, 6 reviews, 7 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (9)
Latest Mechelen hotel reviews
- Hotel Carolus
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Novotel Mechelen Centrum
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- NH Mechelen
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 6, 2013
- Hotel Hobbit
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Gulden Anker
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 15, 2013