Panglao Island Off The Beaten Path Tips by nodarcdam Top 5 Page for this destination
Panglao Island Off The Beaten Path: 9 reviews and 19 photos
THE TIP OF PANGLAO ISLAND
Doljo Beach is the less popular beach for tourists. It is located at the southern tip of the island that is why its name was derived from doljo or "dulo" or the end tip. Although it houses the high end Ananyan Beach Resort and it is also a public beach, very few tourists go here. While tourist flock to Alona Beach and the Dumaluan Beach, Doljo Beach is virtually unpopular. Upon the other hand, it may be good for Doljo as it remains a quite place and crowd free shore. If Alona Beach has a good sunrise, Doljo Beach boasts of a more beautiful sunset.
The beach has white sand and it is at its best during low tide. It used to be maintained by the local government but lately the beach has been left to its own devices. The shore is covered by sea weeds which somewhat spoil the splendor of the white sand. Still, i consider this beach as a beauty.
The whole beach is designated as a marine sanctuary.
Just a few steps from the Dauis Municipal Hall and Dauis Church lives a family with several members afflicted with dwarfism. There were four of them with such affliction and only one is still alive. He is an old man but only one and a half feet tall and one of his sisters is taking care of him. He is blind and mute but according to his sister he can hear. The house is a small one and the inside of the house has some newspaper clippings featuring the old man. There are also some photographs of the other siblings afflicted with the hormanal deficiency.
if you are interested to see him, just go the municipal hall and ask around as the family is popular among the townfolks. Out of respect, I opted not to take his pictures.
Why am I posting this? The old man is afflicted with dwarfism. I went there out of curiousity and when I saw him, the desire to help the man, even in some small ways, prevailed. You may pay him a visit and give your small help which will go a long way for him and his family.
One of the most ignored landmark in Panglao Island is its watchtower, regarded as the tallest watchtower in the island of Bohol. As Panglao Island is the tip of Bohol which faces Mindanao, the tallest tower was built there, then, to guard against Muslim pirates. Hence, at some point, Panglao is the first line of defense against any attack coming from Mindanao.
It is just unfortunate that the tower was not preserved and it is now closed. It could had been a thrill to get to the top of the tower and see the white beaches of the island and the neigboring islands, such as Gak-ang, Pungtod, Balicasag, Pamilacan, Siquijor and Cebu.
The tower is located right beside the Panglao Church and near the small wharf.
More Reviews (25)
- See All ALONA TROPICAL'S GARDEN
- See All SIMPLE AND LESS EXPENSIVE
- See All ACCOMMODATION ON THE EASTERN SIDE OF...
- See All BEST WAY TO EXPLORE PANGLAO ISLAND II
nodarcdam's Related Pages
Panglao Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PANGLAO ISLAND, MY FAVORITE PLACE IN MY COUNTRY"
- "Serene Paradise - Panglao Island"
- "Panglao, the Island Paradise"
- "Beach Bumming in Alona Beach, Panglao Island."
- "(Panglao + Balicasag) Island = Dive Heaven"
- "Panglao Island"
- "Panglao Island and Bohol Vacation 2007"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Panglao Island
- Hotels in Panglao Island
- Transportation in Panglao Island
- Nightlife in Panglao Island
- Restaurants in Panglao Island
- Shopping in Panglao Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Panglao Island
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dayton Hotels
- Tecpán Guatemala Hotels
- Port Huron Hotels
- Israel Hotels
- Daytrip outside Amsterdam: The Hague / Madurodam / Scheveningen
- Tampa Off The Beaten Path
- Fort Taylor
- Isla de Gran Canaria Off The Beaten Path
- Oklahoma City Off The Beaten Path
- Šmarna gora
- Illinois Off The Beaten Path
- Aruba Off The Beaten Path
- Mexico Off The Beaten Path
- Glasgow Off The Beaten Path
- Telluride Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Panglao Island
- 28 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Panglao Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Panglao Island
Photos in Panglao IslandSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Bohol Intro, 29 reviews, 126 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panglao Island Intro, 28 reviews, 102 photos
- Tagbilaran City Intro, 12 reviews, 34 photos
- Loboc Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos
- Carmen Intro, 5 reviews, 27 photos
- Balicasag Island Intro, 5 reviews, 26 photos
- Pungtud Island Intro, 5 reviews, 24 photos
- Pamilacan Island Intro, 4 reviews, 16 photos
- Maribojoc Intro, 3 reviews, 16 photos
- Sagbayan Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
Latest Panglao Island hotel reviews
- Alona Kew White Beach Resort
- 85 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Dumaluan Beach Resort 2
- 87 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Lost Horizon Resort
- 134 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 26, 2013
- Bohol Divers Resort
- 77 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Paragayo Resort
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Sea Corals Beach Resort
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2011
- Flower Garden Resort
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Bohol Sea Resort
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Isis Bungalows
- 96 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013
- Amarela Resort
- 197 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Bohol Bee Farm
- 142 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Bohol Plaza Resort
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 17, 2013
- Oasis Resort
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 21, 2013
- Playa Blanca
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 20, 2013
- Linaw Beach Resort and Restaurant
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013