"Newcastle, Northern Ireland" Newcastle by diamond_skies
Newcastle Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 38 photos
It can be a bit confusing having several Newcastles around the world but this is for the popular town of Newcastle, County Down in the southern part of Northern Ireland.
If the sun is shining, Newcastle will be buzzing. It has been a popular spot since Victorian times when a train went from Belfast into Newcastle, taking the well-to-do to the beautiful Slieve Donard Hotel. The train station is now a Lidl but the Slieve Donard is still there in all its glory.
Any weekend in the summer will find busy traffic all the way from Belfast and crowds along the beach and in the cafes. The beach is very wide and long - one of the most popular in Northern Ireland. The shops are the usual array of tat with some nicer ones starting to appear. Cafes have gone from serving teas to coffees but there are still a lot of places selling ice cream. And you can always spot people sitting in their cars with their flasks of tea and homemade sandwiches - even when the sun is splitting the stones!
- Pros:Lovely beach, lots of activities.
- Cons:A bit tatty and can be very crowded in summer.
- In a nutshell:Nice place for a day out.
diamond_skies' Related Pages
Newcastle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WHERE THE MOURNE MOUNTAINS SWEEP DOWN TO THE SEA"
- "Newcastle, Northern Ireland"
- "New Castle, Northern Ireland, the gateway"
- "Newcaste Co Down"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Newcastle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle
Top 10 Pages
- Belfast Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sainte-Agnès Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Downpatrick Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belvédère 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Peïra-Cava Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Portrush Intro, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Enniskillen Intro, 2 reviews
- Roquebillière 1 review, 1 photo
- Clough Intro, 2 reviews