"Hello and Welcome!" diamond_skies's Profile
Originally I went by the nickname of Oneonta_ni but after a bit of an absence in late 2004/ early 2005, I took a notion to start a new 'life' here. My previous pages in my previous 'life' were getting old and the information on the pages was getting a bit dated. Rather than delete all my hard work and start over, I decided to just start a new account and build new pages with more up to date content. So really I have been a member of VT since 2000, although it may not appear that way.
I really enjoy travelling and seeing new places but I like to do it at an easy pace. I am not one for running around famous sites, ticking them off a list and rushing to the next place. If I don't see enough of a place, it's a good incentive for me to return.
One reason I enjoy travelling is to eat. Finding good restaurants and tasting local food is a big part of our holidays. That doesn't mean we look for Michelin starred restaurants - quite the opposite. We like to try good, homestyle cooking in restaurants owned by local people. Anyone who knows me knows that I do not eat in places like McDonalds, Burger King or Starbucks - I would rather go without dinner!
You may notice by the photos on my pages that I love horses. It is very common for young girls to love horses but I have never outgrown it. I recently went on my first horseriding holiday and I am hooked. What better way to enjoy the countryside than from the back of a horse?
My husband and I do a lot of walking, too, when we are away. Again, I think this is the best way to enjoy a location, stopping when you want to take photos or just enjoy the view.
I am also a great reader. I usually have 2 books on the go at any one time - one kept at my bedside and another in my bag for when I have a few minutes to read after work or waiting for an appointment.
Well, obviously, I arrived here because I like to travel. I stick around because I like to talk about travel and cultures and I have met so many nice people here.
VT was great in the old days and there have been some good improvements. I don't like all of the changes that have been made but I do like the fact that this site is free and is easy to use. I do believe it is the best travel site on the web. The forums are very active, which is a great help. It can be so annoying to sign up to a forum and then discover no one has been near it for years!
Our travel plans generally revolve around seat sales on the main budget airlines. We use Jet2 and Easyjet because they fly from Belfast and sometimes fly with Ryanair because Dublin Airport is only a 2 hour journey away. And as I am originally from Oregon, USA, we travel there every now and again.
Current travel plans:
At the moment we don't have any further plans to travel this year.
In case you are wondering where my nickname comes from, it is from a line in a song called 'Plateau' by my favourite band in the world, The Frames. For me, the image of 'diamond skies' conjures up memories of my younger days when I would spend a summer evening on our back patio staring at the star-studded skies and dream of places I wanted to visit and things I wanted to do. I believe that we can make our own dreams come true if we try hard enough and I am always trying.
The diamond skies are enough to take me miles away, if only in my dreams.
Personal Pages (1)
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 28 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 3 Countries
- 13 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Posted in Travel Leavenworth Forum "Re: Mountain Biking in Leavenworth"
- Commented on diamond_skies's profile page
- diamond_skies and oneonta_ni are now friends.
- created a Barcelona Travel Page "Magical Barcelona"
- Wrote a Review A Rare Find These Days in Belfast Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Get away from it all!"
updated their Profile Page "Hello and Welcome!"
Top 10 Pages
- Belfast Intro, 9 reviews, 3 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sainte-Agnès Intro, 3 reviews, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Downpatrick Intro, 1 review, 9 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belvédère 2 reviews, 2 photos
- Paris Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Peïra-Cava Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Enniskillen Intro, 2 reviews
- Portrush Intro, 2 photos
- Roquebillière 1 review, 1 photo
- Clough Intro, 2 reviews
- Paris Hotels
- 22461 Reviews - 54973 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2701 Reviews - 7925 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23317 Reviews - 48909 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Prampram Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3874 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos