"Despotovac, Manasija – Memory of Despot Stefan" Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac by Zvrlj
Despotovac Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 89 photos
Despotovac is a town of about 5,000 inhabitants, located in east part of central Serbia. The name Despotovac is derived from the word "despot", a title of Serbian medieval prince Stefan Lazarevic who had founded Manasija Monastery, cultural centre of the Serbia during the 15th and 16th centuries. Despotovac had been mentioned for the first time in 1381 as the village Voinci (Vojnik), which, literally translated, means "soldier". It existed as Vojnik until June 17th 1882 when, by decree of king Milan Obrenovic, village had changed its name to Despotovac as a memory of prince Stefan Lazarevic, and had become the town.
Nowadays the town itself is a bit "off the beaten path", considering the fact that the main tourist attractions – Manasija Monastery, and beauties of nature Resava cave and waterfall Veliki Buk are out of it.
Waterfall Veliki Buk (one of the meaning could be "the great roar") is part of hydrocomplex Lisine. It is about 20 km... more travel advice
Resava Cave is the first cave in Serbia open for tourist visits in April 22nd 1972, 10 years after it had been... more travel advice
Zvrlj's Related Pages
Despotovac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Despotovac, Manasija – Memory of Despot Stefan"
- "Manasija monastery near Despotovac"
- "Manasija Monastery"
- "DESCOVER SERBIA tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Despotovac
- Hotels in Despotovac
- Restaurants in Despotovac
- Shopping in Despotovac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Despotovac
- 14 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Despotovac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Despotovac
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Arts and entertainment"
- updated a Despotovac Travel Page "Despotovac, Manasija – Memory of Despot Stefan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Manasija, Crkva Svete Trojice (I&V)"
- Commented on one of gugi66's Despotovac travel pages
- Wrote a Review Veliki Buk Waterfall (I&V) in Despotovac Off The Beaten Path
Photos in DespotovacSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 94 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac Intro, 58 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne Intro, 52 reviews, 132 photos
- Prague Intro, 36 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niksic Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Petrovac na Moru Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue