"Kragujevac, the Cradle of Modern Serbia" Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac by Zvrlj
Kragujevac Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 252 photos
Kragujevac is the city of about 200.000 people, in central Serbia, Sumadija region. It is on the river Lepenica, "small, but important river" – it was written in some schoolbook I used in primary school, about 25 years ago. That sentence makes my friends from Belgrade and other places laugh, but, if you call it river, Lepenica IS one of the quickest in Serbia.
The oldest known script about the city is from 1476, but, according to some theories, settlement Kragujevac dates back to 6th century, at the time of arrival of Slavic tribes to Balkan.
The first half of the 19th century was the most important period in history of Kragujevac. It was the capital of modern Serbia from 1818 until 1841. At that time important cultural and social institutions were established: the first high school, the first theatre, the first newspaper, lycce, printing house, library, hospital, court etc. Many famous Serbs, such as: Vuk Karadzic, Dimitrije Davidovic, Joakim Vujic, Sima Milutinovic – Sarajlija, Milovan Vidakovic... lived in Kragujevac during that period.
Since the second half of 19th century Kragujevac developed in strong industrial city, and it remains that till the late 20th century and wars on the territory of former Yugoslavia. During the 90s it was often called "valley of hunger". In past several years that has changed and nowadays Kragujevac is considered to be the most prosperous Serbian city south of Belgrade, although marked by several symbols of bad taste, stubbornness, hypocrisy… (due to mayor & "sculptor") Kragujevac is, nevertheless, place of the great, hospitable people and one where visitors would have a great time.
Gnezdo spijuna (Spynest) and its secluded summer terrace is great nightlife venue, especially in the nights with live... more travel advice
Ilina Voda (literally translated – Ilia's Water) is suburb on the east verge of Kragujevac, near the right bank of... more travel advice
- See All Muzej "Stara livnica" | Museum "Old...
- Shopping Mole (I&V)
- See All To/From Kragujevac, by Car and by Bus...
Written Aug 12, 2010
Written Jan 16, 2010
Kragujevac 2009 VT Meeting…
Zvrlj's Related Pages
Kragujevac Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kragujevac, the Cradle of Modern Serbia"
- "Kragujevac-The Heart of Serbia"
- "The town where I was born"
- "Kragujevac - My first VT member encounter"
- "Big ice cream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kragujevac
- Hotels in Kragujevac
- Transportation in Kragujevac
- Nightlife in Kragujevac
- Restaurants in Kragujevac
- Shopping in Kragujevac
- Warnings and Dangers in Kragujevac
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kragujevac
- 58 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Kragujevac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kragujevac
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Arts and entertainment"
- updated a Kragujevac Travel Page "Kragujevac, the Cradle of Modern Serbia"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Muzej "Stara livnica" | Museum "Old Foundry" (I&V)"
- Commented on one of Andrew_W_K's Kragujevac travel pages
- Wrote a Review Night in Spynest (I&V) in Kragujevac Nightlife
Photos in KragujevacSee All Photos (152)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 94 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac Intro, 58 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne Intro, 52 reviews, 132 photos
- Prague Intro, 36 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niksic Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Petrovac na Moru Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue