Niksic Off The Beaten Path Tips by Zvrlj Top 5 Page for this destination
Niksic Off The Beaten Path: 7 reviews and 17 photos
Vukov most – Vuk's Bridge was built in the second half of the 19th century, to replace older Begov most – the Bey's Bridge, destroyed in 1807 when Montenegrins with support of Russian soldiers attacked the town held by Turks. The bridge was reconstructed at the request of King Nikola, who named it Vukov most, after the famous Montenegrin hero Vuk Micunovic
The bridge crosses the river Zeta at Kapino Polje, at northwest verge of Niksic, on the road to Trebinje, and it is "accompanied" by recently built extension used for motor vehicles traffic.
Carev most – Tsar's Bridge is one of the most beautiful bridges in Montenegro. It was designed by Josip Slade, at the request of King Nikola. The cornerstone was laid by Bozo Petrovic, President of the State Council on the 23rd of May 1894, and the bridge was opened by King Nikola at the ceremony held on the 20th of October 1894.
The bridge was one of the major construction undertakings, and certainly the peak of a bridge construction in Montenegro, in the late 19th century. It was built with the support of Emperor of Russia Alexander III after whom the bridge was named.
Tsar's Bridge was built of stone, at a length of 269 m and about 600 m of embankment. It has 18 arches, and it is over 13 m high in the middle.
Tsar's Bridge is located on the verge of Niksic, on the old road to Podgorica which passes through Pandurica.
The bridge on the river Mostanica
Most na Mostanici – the bridge on the river Mostanica is Roman bridge built probably in the 3rd century. It is one of the oldest preserved bridges in Montenegro.
We have found the data about bridge being presumably reconstructed or even rebuilt in the immediate post-Roman period, which was proved by supposedly excavated stecak tombstone in the base of one of the bridge pillars. Since it was only mentioned in one internet forum, and we could not find any confirmation of that, it is in the range of maybe.
The simple facts about the bridge are following: it is 2.3 m high, the diameters of the arches are 5.5 m and the pillars are 2 m wide. Obviously not huge, the bridge is nevertheless beautifully designed and very impressive, although its surrounding is not properly maintained.
The bridge on the river Mostanica is on the old road from Niksic to Trebinje, via Grahovo. It is easy to find it by following the road-signs.
Church of St George, Trebjesa, Niksic
Modest church of St George stands on the southeast slope of mount Trebjesa. It was probably erected in the second half of the 16th century. The church was built of roughly carved stone blocks. It has three narrow windows, one on the each side excluding the portal side. The floor was made of stone plates. The church bell is recent acquisition – it was donated to the church in 2000 by Jovanka Djokovic.
More Reviews (16)
- See All Small New Four Stars Hotel (I&V)
- See All Dvorac kralja Nikole | Palace of King...
- Trebjesa "Natural Gyms" (V)
- See All Niksic New Main Bus Station (I&V)
Zvrlj's Related Pages
Niksic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Niksic – Neither Coast Nor Mountain"
- "Not really a Nikšić page!"
- "Traces of St. Basil of Ostrog"
- "Bus from Nikšić to Kotor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niksic
- Hotels in Niksic
- Transportation in Niksic
- Nightlife in Niksic
- Restaurants in Niksic
- Warnings and Dangers in Niksic
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niksic
- 20 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Niksic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niksic
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Arts and entertainment"
- updated a Niksic Travel Page "Niksic – Neither Coast Nor Mountain"
- Wrote a Review Vukov most | Vuk's Bridge (I&V) in Niksic Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vukov most | Vuk's Bridge (I&V)"
- Commented on one of JLBG's Niksic travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 94 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac Intro, 58 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne Intro, 52 reviews, 132 photos
- Prague Intro, 36 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niksic Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Petrovac na Moru Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue