"Niksic – Neither Coast Nor Mountain" Top 5 Page for this destination Niksic by Zvrlj
Niksic Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 119 photos
Ranked by the population, Niksic is the second largest city in Montenegro with about 70.000 inhabitants. It is located in very unique karst plane, 630 m above sea level.
Niksic plane was settled in ancient times. The oldest name of that settlement had been Anderba. Later it was Anagastum or Onogost. Its present days name Niksic owns to Slavic tribe of Niksici. Niksic was liberated from the centuries long Turk occupation in 1877. It was the beginning of Niksic ascent. At the request of King Nikola – Nicholas I of Montenegro, Croatian architect Josip Slade was invited to create general urban plan of Niksic. Slade shaped the city Niksic the way it is now and turn small settlement and military fortification into a modern city.
Today there are several faculties of Montenegrian University in Niksic. After the many wars during 20th century and two decades of Yugoslav crisis, Niksic has revived in past several years, and turned from gloomy to prosperous and pleasant place.
Vukov most – Vuk's Bridge was built in the second half of the 19th century, to replace older Begov most – the Bey's... more travel advice
Most na Mostanici – the bridge on the river Mostanica is Roman bridge built probably in the 3rd century. It is one of... more travel advice
- See All Dvorac kralja Nikole | Palace of King...
- Trebjesa "Natural Gyms" (V)
- See All Niksic New Main Bus Station (I&V)
Zvrlj's Related Pages
Niksic Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Niksic – Neither Coast Nor Mountain"
- "Not really a Nikšić page!"
- "Traces of St. Basil of Ostrog"
- "Bus from Nikšić to Kotor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Niksic
- Hotels in Niksic
- Transportation in Niksic
- Nightlife in Niksic
- Restaurants in Niksic
- Warnings and Dangers in Niksic
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Niksic
- 20 Reviews
- 48 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Niksic?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Niksic
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Arts and entertainment"
- updated a Niksic Travel Page "Niksic – Neither Coast Nor Mountain"
- Wrote a Review Vukov most | Vuk's Bridge (I&V) in Niksic Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Vukov most | Vuk's Bridge (I&V)"
- Commented on one of JLBG's Niksic travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 94 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac Intro, 58 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne Intro, 52 reviews, 132 photos
- Prague Intro, 36 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niksic Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Petrovac na Moru Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue