"Lausanne – the City With Many Faces" Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne by Zvrlj

Lausanne Travel Guide: 363 reviews and 944 photos

It took us quite a long time to start to write this Intro. Two weeks in Lausanne was among our the greatest travels, we have enjoyed every single moment, even being on the rain, completely wet, and running to our friend's home to hide (?!?) from the storm. We could copy-paste some data on the Lausanne history, a bit about a Roman military camp, Celtic settlement, about Dukes of Savoy and Bishops of Lausanne, Bernese rule, Napoleonic Wars and foundation Swiss Federation… but it was not important, or at least – not of great importance for our perception of this city.

To put into words – both of us had impression of Lausanne as a city composed of many completely different parts, almost like in child's play or in making a patchwork, but somehow harmoniously and beautifully… So, therefore the Intro title is "The City With Many Faces" – one could be the medieval, with Cathedral and Chateau, the other – riviera-like Ouchy, the third – Ville Marche, around Place de la Palud, with an olden charm, the fourth – modern and greatly designed Flon, the fifth – unique Parc Olimpique… One is for sure – Lausanne is the city we love.

• Last visit to Lausanne: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 21, 2010

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2013 at 1:23 AM

perfect page, lots of information, it seems we missed many things in Lausanne but we had only 24h for touring

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2010 at 10:15 PM

An interesting page and nice photo's!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Great page!

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM

very well-written pages and I love the clock at Place de la Palud! The view from the Cathedral is also awesome - and your tip on Museums in Palace Rumine is very well thought of...hope to visit Lausanne someday...Norman :)

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 1:52 AM

I have read Lord Byron's majestic poem in my early years and you may look at the iron rings, to which Bonivard and his siblings were chained. However the siblings existed in Byron's imagination only. Bonivard was in prison alone in that dungeon. Best- L.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2009 at 1:50 AM

Reading about that amazing organ and the concert brought tingles down my spine. Worth a visit to Lausanne just for a concert visit but all your interesting tips make we want to go there.excellent page -thankyou.

• zanzooni's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Absolutely awesome travel tips and photos here. I visited back in the mid 80's, and alas I have no photos!~

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Wow! I'm very impressed with your detailed and knowledgeable tips, especially the ones on the Art Brut Collection, which I had never heard of, but also about other significant buildings like the Town Hall where Mozart gave concerts at age 10.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Oh now it is even better!! The lake views from cathedral and Chillon castle are magic (I preferred the Chillon one though) and this storytelling clock as well!!! And now off to Vervey, I like the seaa horse sculpture :-)

• Dec 25, 2008 at 12:30 PM

Famous city! I like the tower of Tour de l'Ale. Great tips with a lot information!

Zvrlj

“Run and find out | Idi pa vidi”

Badges & Stats in Lausanne

Have you been to Lausanne?