"Neuchatel – Splendid Yellow City" Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel by Zvrlj

Neuchâtel Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 205 photos

Novum Castellum, then – since the 12th century – Novum Castrum, Neocomum in learned Greek in the 16th century, in common language Nuefchastel, Neufchastel, Neufchatel, and progressively, since the middle of the 18th century, Neuchatel.

In German, Nienburg evolved towards Nuvenburch, Nuewenburg, then Neuenburg (since 1725).

Rudolph III of Burgundy, gave his wife Hermengarde "Novum Castellum" as a gift in 1011. Seat of the power, the castle accommodated the lords, sometimes their mother, their widow, or their daughter, some of whom were true stateswomen (the Countess Isabelle, Sovereign of Neuchatel from 1373 to 1394, defended the liberties of Neuchatel, at the end of the 14th century; Marie de Bourbon united the County of Neuchatel and the Seigniory of Valangin at the end of the 16th century).

During several centuries, Neuchatel was under French influence, then it belonged to the kings of Prussia, from 1707.

After the fall of Napoleon, Frederick William III of Prussia reasserted his rights by proposing that Neuchatel be linked with the other Swiss cantons (the better to exert influence over the lot of them). On September 12, 1814, Neuchatel became the 21st canton, but also remained a Prussian principality.

It took a bloodless revolution for Neuchatel to shake off its princely past – on March 1st, 1848, the Republicans led by Fritz Courvoisier, conquer the castle and install the provisional government, presided over by Alexis-Marie Piaget. Neuchatel becomes a Republic within the Swiss Confederation.

From Neuchatel: Time to Live

• Last visit to Neuchâtel: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2008

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Excellent page!

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2010 at 9:05 PM

An excellent page full of interesting tips!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Excellent Neuchatel page - I was there many years ago, and remember it was beautiful. I also remember a building which had giant flies on the outside - like sculptures. I'll have to look for the photo... Anyway, thanks for the memory!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Fantastic updates :-) I really love this butter yellow city, it looks all so beautiful and you have been lucky with the weather :-) Interesting, the clocks, so now I will remember when I see IIII on one :-) And these figurines are lovely :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM

I enjoyed reading your informative tips on this historic city that was "carved out of butter". The castle, the prison, the city's long watch making tradition, the Jaquet-Droz Automata -- all come to life in your fine tips.

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2008 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for YCS on Hurdhaga page. I have been to these places (Neuchatel) twice but no pictures I have. Your pictures remind me of the visit from Geneva.

• black_mimi99's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2008 at 1:57 PM

nice picture of the Neuchatel, hope one day can visit...^_^

• Dec 25, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Excellent picture of Neuchatel, view from Prison Tower. I also like very much the tip with the Castle of Neuchatel. I check it again maybe i put it in my favorite castles in my homepage.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 11:50 AM

I like Neuchâtel a lot. It's time that I take another trip there, so thanks for bringing back memories.

Zvrlj

“Run and find out | Idi pa vidi”

Badges & Stats in Neuchâtel

Have you been to Neuchâtel?