"Neuchatel – Splendid Yellow City" Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel by Zvrlj
Neuchâtel Travel Guide: 89 reviews and 205 photos
Novum Castellum, then – since the 12th century – Novum Castrum, Neocomum in learned Greek in the 16th century, in common language Nuefchastel, Neufchastel, Neufchatel, and progressively, since the middle of the 18th century, Neuchatel.
In German, Nienburg evolved towards Nuvenburch, Nuewenburg, then Neuenburg (since 1725).
Rudolph III of Burgundy, gave his wife Hermengarde "Novum Castellum" as a gift in 1011. Seat of the power, the castle accommodated the lords, sometimes their mother, their widow, or their daughter, some of whom were true stateswomen (the Countess Isabelle, Sovereign of Neuchatel from 1373 to 1394, defended the liberties of Neuchatel, at the end of the 14th century; Marie de Bourbon united the County of Neuchatel and the Seigniory of Valangin at the end of the 16th century).
During several centuries, Neuchatel was under French influence, then it belonged to the kings of Prussia, from 1707.
After the fall of Napoleon, Frederick William III of Prussia reasserted his rights by proposing that Neuchatel be linked with the other Swiss cantons (the better to exert influence over the lot of them). On September 12, 1814, Neuchatel became the 21st canton, but also remained a Prussian principality.
It took a bloodless revolution for Neuchatel to shake off its princely past – on March 1st, 1848, the Republicans led by Fritz Courvoisier, conquer the castle and install the provisional government, presided over by Alexis-Marie Piaget. Neuchatel becomes a Republic within the Swiss Confederation.
From Neuchatel: Time to Live
The white fountain with nicely shaped pillar stands at the plateau in front of Neuchatel Hotel-de-Ville – the Town Hall,... more travel advice
Temple du Bas – the Lower Temple, Protestant Temple was built in 1696. It is very nice, elegant building in the center... more travel advice
Zvrlj's Related Pages
Neuchâtel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neuchatel – Splendid Yellow City"
- "Neuchâtel, the city of 140 fountains"
- "Neuchatel in the Watch Valley"
- "NEUCHATEL BY LAKE NEUCHATEL"
- "Memories of Neuchatel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Neuchâtel
- Hotels in Neuchâtel
- Transportation in Neuchâtel
- Restaurants in Neuchâtel
- Shopping in Neuchâtel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Neuchâtel
- 30 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Neuchâtel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Neuchâtel
- Posted in Travel Venice Forum "Re: Arts and entertainment"
- Wrote a Review Neuchatel Fountains – Fontaine de l'Hopital (I&V) in Neuchâtel Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Neuchatel Fountains – Fontaine de l'Hopital (I&V)"
- updated a Neuchâtel Travelogue "Temporary travelogue – help us to write the tip"
- Commented on one of Sienlu's Neuchâtel travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Venice Intro, 94 reviews, 176 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kragujevac Intro, 58 reviews, 152 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lausanne Intro, 52 reviews, 132 photos
- Prague Intro, 36 reviews, 94 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Neuchâtel Intro, 30 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ohrid Intro, 20 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Niksic Intro, 20 reviews, 48 photos
- Petrovac na Moru Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Despotovac Intro, 14 reviews, 40 photos
- Budapest Intro, 12 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue