"gave the stone a smacker" Top 5 Page for this destination Blarney Castle by stemc
Blarney Castle Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 165 photos
This is a most do trip if in Cork a visit to Blarney Castle and to kiss the Blarney Stone. The castle that you see is the third castle on this site ,the first would have been a wooden stockade structure built around the 10thcent followed at a later date with a stone structure in the 12th cent .the present building constructed by DERMONT MacCARTHY King of Munster in 1446 is a15thcent tower house little remains today but the keep (Tower houses were small castles or fortified residences built between 15th /17th cent .the tall square house was defended by a stone wall forming a enclosure used for defence and as a cattle pen .Machicolations (projecting parapets form which to drop missiles) were sited at the top of the house) Blarney also has murder holes at the entrance to the castle to pour boiling tar on invaders ,the base walls of the castle are 18ft thick to withstand any attempt knock the walls down .slit windows for bowmen are further up the walls and battlement ramparts sit atop the tower so the kings soldiers could rain stones and boiling liquids on the besiegers below
The towers that are outside the keep were present in the outside defensive wall but only a few remain today
- Pros:A MOST DO TRIP
- Cons:THE CLIMB TO THE STONE
the bus to blarney is the 224 but you dont get the bus at the bus station in cork but just a little along from the bus... more travel advice
Take a walk around the Rock Close which THEY say dates from druid times it has a few interesting features and unusual... more travel advice
stemc's Related Pages
Blarney Castle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Being a Tourist in My Own Backyard"
- "Lots of Steps -- OR -- Shopping"
- "gave the stone a smacker"
- "Blarney Castle"
- "Lots to see at Blarney Castle"
- "Gift of the gab?"
- "Gift of the Gab"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Blarney Castle
- Transportation in Blarney Castle
- Restaurants in Blarney Castle
- Shopping in Blarney Castle
- Warnings and Dangers in Blarney Castle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Blarney Castle
- 5 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Blarney Castle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blarney Castle
Photos in Blarney CastleSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos
- Cork Intro, 14 reviews, 42 photos
- Luxor Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos
- Ribchester Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos
- Chester Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos
- Pisa Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos
- Kinsale Intro, 5 reviews, 19 photos
- Marrakesh Intro, 3 reviews, 15 photos
- Siena Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
No friends yet.