"The More Hawaiian Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Molokai by RickinDutch

Molokai Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 244 photos

The Friendly Island

Remote, secluded and lost in time. Molokai has deserted beaches, majestic cliffs, and once was the home of Father Damien's famous leper colony.

Also known as "The Friendly Island", Molokai has a total area of 260 sq. miles - 38 miles long and 10 miles wide with 88 miles of coastline. The population is a little over 6,700 residents. The highest point is Kamakou Peak at 4,961 ft. above sea level.

Driving Times from Molokai Airport:
Halawa Valley - 2 hours
Kaunakakai - 10 minutes
Kepuhi Beach - 25 minutes
Mapulehu - 35 minutes
Maunaloa - 15 minutes
Palaau Park - 15 minutes

Laid Back & Proud of It

From our first trip to Molokai'i, we have been entranced by the land and the people. Quiet, no building taller than a palm tree, with more Native Hawaiians than any other island, Molokai'i truely is Mo' Betta'.

On our first trip to the island, our agent had made an error and no rental car was available. A car is crucial for getting around Molokai'i as there is no mass transit and where we were staying was a long way from the airport. The other car rental companies were sold out and things didn't look good. So we went to the information desk to see what our options were.

The lady working there said to just borrow her car. She was leaving town and didn't need it for a week or so!. Just fill it up with gas when we drop it back off.

Then we stopped on Kaunakakai to pick up groceries and liquor before heading off to the rental house. At the liquor store the women there was very friendly and after a few minutes of chatting said to watch the store, she would be right back. 10 minutes later she came back with a lug of fresh vegetables and flowers to welcome us to the island.

I could tell many more stories from our trips there, but I think you get the idea. There is no place like Molokai'i!!!

Like all the Hawaiian Island, Molokai has a "dry" side and a "green" side. The west end, or sunny end, has several modest sized resorts and the Molokai Ranch. The longest white sand beach is at this end as well as the only 18 hole golf course on the island. The east end is the tropical end with showers every afternoon to keep it so. Kaunakaki is the main town and located roughly in the center on the south shore.

• Pros:Laid Back & Friendly
  • Cons:Not for you if you want exciting night life :)
  • In a nutshell:What's left of the real Hawaii!!
  • Last visit to Molokai: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2012

• Nathalie_B's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2007 at 2:16 AM

Rick, how did you survive with no castles and beer? :) Great tips and a very nice rental home. Thanks a lot for the B-Day wishes.

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm always too busy looking elsewhere...seems I'm missig out on a piece of paradise closer to home. The house reminds me how we felt w/ a house we rented in Nicaragua.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2007 at 11:01 AM

The pictures look like paradise. And I want to buy the house so I'm glad you didn't buy it! : )

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2006 at 6:03 AM

Great page! Would love to visit Hawaii someday. Its on the list. :)

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2006 at 3:02 AM

Yep, you do manage to find the hidden gems! That Mule ride to Kalaupapa suits me just fine! Ciao, Carol

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2006 at 2:30 PM

Thanks for the birthday greetings and ratings! Friar Tucks are tacky but cute! Great Molokai page. Fr. Damian is a hero of mine.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 10:09 AM

This is another wonderful page, Rick. Papohaku Beach looks great. I'd love to spend some time there.

• cleocat's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2006 at 7:08 AM

Thanks for the visit to my Mauritius page. Hawaii has always fascinated me. Thanks for all the nice info.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 3:35 PM

Excellent page on Molokai. I have wanted to go there for awhile, now I know it is a must see. The house sounds ideal.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2006 at 5:52 AM

Beautiful page Rick and what a fantastic place!!! I enjoyed reading your stories and you make me dream about visiting Molokai some day :-)

RickinDutch Visits Here Frequently!

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Molokai

Have you been to Molokai?