"The More Hawaiian Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Molokai by RickinDutch
Molokai Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 244 photos
Remote, secluded and lost in time. Molokai has deserted beaches, majestic cliffs, and once was the home of Father Damien's famous leper colony.
Also known as "The Friendly Island", Molokai has a total area of 260 sq. miles - 38 miles long and 10 miles wide with 88 miles of coastline. The population is a little over 6,700 residents. The highest point is Kamakou Peak at 4,961 ft. above sea level.
Driving Times from Molokai Airport:
Halawa Valley - 2 hours
Kaunakakai - 10 minutes
Kepuhi Beach - 25 minutes
Mapulehu - 35 minutes
Maunaloa - 15 minutes
Palaau Park - 15 minutes
From our first trip to Molokai'i, we have been entranced by the land and the people. Quiet, no building taller than a palm tree, with more Native Hawaiians than any other island, Molokai'i truely is Mo' Betta'.
On our first trip to the island, our agent had made an error and no rental car was available. A car is crucial for getting around Molokai'i as there is no mass transit and where we were staying was a long way from the airport. The other car rental companies were sold out and things didn't look good. So we went to the information desk to see what our options were.
The lady working there said to just borrow her car. She was leaving town and didn't need it for a week or so!. Just fill it up with gas when we drop it back off.
Then we stopped on Kaunakakai to pick up groceries and liquor before heading off to the rental house. At the liquor store the women there was very friendly and after a few minutes of chatting said to watch the store, she would be right back. 10 minutes later she came back with a lug of fresh vegetables and flowers to welcome us to the island.
I could tell many more stories from our trips there, but I think you get the idea. There is no place like Molokai'i!!!
Like all the Hawaiian Island, Molokai has a "dry" side and a "green" side. The west end, or sunny end, has several modest sized resorts and the Molokai Ranch. The longest white sand beach is at this end as well as the only 18 hole golf course on the island. The east end is the tropical end with showers every afternoon to keep it so. Kaunakaki is the main town and located roughly in the center on the south shore.
- Pros:Laid Back & Friendly
- Cons:Not for you if you want exciting night life :)
- In a nutshell:What's left of the real Hawaii!!
The Paniolo Hale Townhouses are the nicest on the island. Located on the west end of the island adjacent to the Kaluakoi... more travel advice
At the end of the road north of Kaunaukakai, is the Kalaupapa Lookout and the Kaule o NanaHoe (phallic rock). The... more travel advice
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Molokai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The More Hawaiian Island"
- "Molokai - "The Friendly Island""
- "Molokai: An Island Lost in Time"
- "Aloha Molokai"
- "Live Aloha"
- "The "forgotten" island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Molokai
- Hotels in Molokai
- Transportation in Molokai
- Nightlife in Molokai
- Restaurants in Molokai
- Shopping in Molokai
- Warnings and Dangers in Molokai
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Molokai
- 11 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Molokai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Molokai
- Posted in Travel Ketchikan Forum "Re: Ketchikan Rainforest..."
- updated a Molokai Travel Page "The More Hawaiian Island"
- Wrote a Review Kalaupapa Lookout and Phallic Rock in Molokai Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our favorite vacation rental home"
- Commented on one of Stephen-KarenConn's Molokai travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos