"Most scenic town in Alaska" Top 5 Page for this destination Sitka by RickinDutch

Sitka Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 278 photos

Nature, history & culture come together in Sitka

I've seen much of Alaska over the years and I would rate Sitka as the most beautiful of all. Located on Baranof Island in Southeast Alaska it has a sense of history that isn't as obvious in other Alaskan communities. Pre contact Tlingit culture is alive and flourishing, Russian era buildings still stand, and current day tourism and commercial fishing keep the town vibrant and very much alive.

Even though it is a stop on many Alaska cruises, it is one of the few ports that does not have a dock for the larger ships to tie up at so all passengers must take a tender to and from town. This spreads out the visitors into easier to deal with groups.

Lots to see and do here

It would take a few days to do Sitka properly.
In my humble opinion, the sights most worth seeing are St Michael's Cathedral, The Sheldon Jackson Museum, Sitka National Historic Park and the Alaska Raptor Center. All are within easy walking distance of the docks downtown and each are unique experiences.

I've been lucky enough to visit Sitka several times, but always on business. I hope to come on vacation some day and it is on my short list of places I'd live in.

• In a nutshell:Most scenic town in Alaska with lots to do and see.
  • Last visit to Sitka: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 18, 2006

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Unfortunately, our Alaska cruise didn't stop in Sitka. Looks like we missed an interesting town. Thanks for the tips.

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Great page on Sitka. This seems like a beautiful spot.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2006 at 3:01 PM

Alaska is somewhere I have frequently fantasised about visiting. These pages are fabulous but I have to admit , my most secret hankering is for a little one-street Alaskan town like the one in Northern Exposure. Would I find one? Katherine:)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2006 at 10:17 AM

I've always wanted to visit Alaska and this page only confirms it! Great tips on Sitka, especially the Raptor Center and the unique houseboat accommodations. You don't usually hear much about Russian/Indian wars either!

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2006 at 2:42 PM

Hey thanks for the tip about the building, I did know it was a home for elderly people but had no idea about its name. Is the church pictured in my page the same you describe in your "things to do"?? Cheers! :)

• Small_World's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2006 at 7:27 PM

Hi Rick, a friend of mine used to be a commercial fisherman in Sitka...he would live there part of the year and in Louisiana the rest of the year.

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2005 at 6:47 AM

Spent a week here while my husband and cousin went fishing. We two girls found lots to do, like the Raptor Center and a walk,wearing bells, along the river while the salmon were running. Truly a wonderous place.

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Sitka