"A Favorite Destination" Top 5 Page for this destination Seward by RickinDutch
Seward Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 498 photos
Seward is about a 150 miles south of Anchorage but it feels a world away. Alaskans know it well for it's sports fishing, the Alaska SeaLife Center, a great 4th of July celebration with the world famous Mt. Marathon Race. It is also home to our state prison but that is across the bay and we don't think about that much. It is the easiest access to Prince William Sound and Resurrection Bay and therefore home to a fleet of commercial, sports fishing, and pleasure boats.
The drive to Seward is one of the most scenic in Alaska (the drive to Valdez is probably the other).
It suffered an economic setback a few years ago when many of the cruise ships switched to Whittier as their turn around point. But many still come here and the Alaska Railroad has a terminal here to whisk the cruise passengers to either the Anchorage Airport or Denali.
Being the gateway to Resurrection Bay and Prince William Sound just around the corner gives the visitor access to some amazingly abundant marine life. Orcas and humpback whales abound as well as sea lions and a wide variety of birds. And if you don't see enough, be sure to visit the Alaska Sealife Center.
- Pros:Lots to do
- Cons:Rains once in awhile :)
- In a nutshell:Outdoor recreation Mecca
One of the few glaciers in Alaska that you can walk right up to. About 6 miles out of town on the Seward highway. The... more travel advice
If driving yourself doesn't appeal to you there is daily bus service between Anchorage and Seward on the Alaska Park... more travel advice
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Seward Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scenic Seward"
- "Seward - Scenery that can't be beat"
- "Jumping Around Seward!"
- "A Favorite Destination"
- "Seward and Kenai Fjords National Park"
- "Great fishing town on Kenai Peninsula"
- "Seward, a small and friendly harbor town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Seward
- Hotels in Seward
- Transportation in Seward
- Restaurants in Seward
- Shopping in Seward
- Warnings and Dangers in Seward
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Seward
- 8 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Seward?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Seward
Photos in SewardSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos