"Small town with a big heart" Top 5 Page for this destination Nome by RickinDutch
Nome Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 96 photos
Nome is a small town (3,500) with a huge aura about it. The end of the 1,100 mile Iditarod Dog Sled Race from Anchorage, an active gold mining town and the oldest incorporated city in Alaska (since 1901). But it's the people that make Nome so special.
It is on the edge of the Bering Sea on a treeless windy plain. You just have to be tough to live there and folks just extend a warm welcome to anyone that ventures that far north and west.
With the discovery of gold in Anvil Creek in 1899, 30,000 miners rushed to Nome. Most left with nothing within a year, but the town of Nome was started and remain a viable regional hub. Dredging for gold continues off and on and you can try your own luck right on the beach on town. Don't laugh - a miner found a nugget in 2003 the size of his fist and sold it for $75,000.
During my brief and unhappy stint as a Customs inspector, I worked with Bering Air as they started up flights to Magadan, Russia. Once the flights were up and running, I would fly up from Anchorage to enter and clear the planes and passengers. Sometimes I was able to turn around the same day and fly back, but more often than not I would end up overnighting there.
An infamous institution in Nome is the Board of Trade, right next door to the Nugget Inn on Main Street. The bar has... more travel advice
Unique to Nome is it has a road sytem that allow you to drive to three villages and catch a glimpse of remote Alaska... more travel advice
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Nome Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There's No Place Like Nome!"
- "Nome, Alaska"
- "Gold rush Boom Town"
- "My mom and son call Nome "Home"!"
- "Small town with a big heart"
- "Skylink's Nome Alaska Page"
- "Nome Sweet Home!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nome
- Hotels in Nome
- Transportation in Nome
- Nightlife in Nome
- Restaurants in Nome
- Shopping in Nome
- Warnings and Dangers in Nome
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nome
- 4 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Nome?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nome
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos