"Small town with a big heart" Top 5 Page for this destination Nome by RickinDutch

Nome Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 96 photos

It's the people

Nome is a small town (3,500) with a huge aura about it. The end of the 1,100 mile Iditarod Dog Sled Race from Anchorage, an active gold mining town and the oldest incorporated city in Alaska (since 1901). But it's the people that make Nome so special.
It is on the edge of the Bering Sea on a treeless windy plain. You just have to be tough to live there and folks just extend a warm welcome to anyone that ventures that far north and west.

Gold Mining Town

With the discovery of gold in Anvil Creek in 1899, 30,000 miners rushed to Nome. Most left with nothing within a year, but the town of Nome was started and remain a viable regional hub. Dredging for gold continues off and on and you can try your own luck right on the beach on town. Don't laugh - a miner found a nugget in 2003 the size of his fist and sold it for $75,000.

My History with Nome

During my brief and unhappy stint as a Customs inspector, I worked with Bering Air as they started up flights to Magadan, Russia. Once the flights were up and running, I would fly up from Anchorage to enter and clear the planes and passengers. Sometimes I was able to turn around the same day and fly back, but more often than not I would end up overnighting there.

• Last visit to Nome: Dec 1988
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2006

• Jan 14, 2010 at 12:20 PM

You are right RickinDutch. I used to be in the band Notice to appear for two years that was a permanent stay at the Board of Trade for a decade I think (are they still there?) anyways the locals are very much taken advantage of by greedy Ivory purchasers.

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I need to visit Alsaka some day. Looks like a great place. Maybe not Nome, but the rest looks cool.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 10:37 AM

If I ever make it back to Nome I'll rent a car and go further afield. Thanks for the tip.

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Nome