Kodiak Transportation Tips by RickinDutch Top 5 Page for this destination
Kodiak Transportation: 10 reviews and 11 photos
ERA on the ramp in Kodiak
Kodiak is serviced from Anchorage by ERA Aviation and by Alaska Air. Era operates as a subservice of Alaska, so all arrangements go through Alaska Air.
About 8 flights a day - 6 by ERA's Dash 8 turbo prob and 2 by Alaska jet. About 45 minutes by jet or 1:10 by turbo prop, but the turbo is really faster because you don't have to deal with security/TSA hassles. So, if I'm just going to Anchorage I'll usually stick with ERA. If I'm going beyond Anchorage I'll take the jet and then I'm already thru TSA in Anchorage.
As of 6/1/09, airfare is about $500 round trip, but web specials for $199 can sometime be found at www.flyera.com. I know that seems steep, but after 18 years of paying $900 to get to and from Dutch Harbor/Unalaska it doesn't seem that bad.
Be sure to sit on the right side of the aircraft coming into Kodiak for the best view as the flights pass by the town of Kodiak on final approach to the airport.
Other Contact: www.flyera.com
Had an email asking about renting a bike on Kodiak. Didn't think it was possible but found out it is - for a price. 58 Degree North, an upscale sporting goods store on Mill Bay Road, rents nice mountain bikes for a daily rate. $35/day sounds like a lot but includes helmet and a lock.
If you've ever tried to find a parking spot downtown during Crab Fest, you'd understand that a bike might be a better alternative. And with so many miles of paved road (with a decent shoulder) there is a lot of places you can bike to and get away from it all.
Phone: (907) 486-6249
Ferry service runs almost daily between Homer and Kodiak in the summer months, rotating between the Tustemena and the much larger Kennicott. Check their website or call to check on schedule as it changes from month to month. And then double check a few weeks out to make sure it is still as scheduled.
Phone: 1 800 526-6731
More Reviews (20)
- A Very Walkable Downtown Area
- Weather can vary quickly
- See All Visit the Coast Guard Base
- See All Bear Country
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Kodiak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kodiak Alaska"
- "A Town Like Any Other Town, But With a Difference"
- "Kodiak Alaska -- My Home Town"
- "The Emerald Isle"
- "NORTH to ALASKA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kodiak
- Hotels in Kodiak
- Transportation in Kodiak
- Nightlife in Kodiak
- Restaurants in Kodiak
- Shopping in Kodiak
- Warnings and Dangers in Kodiak
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dommelen Hotels
- Rafina Hotels
- Burnley Hotels
- Beaumont Hotels
- Bukit Kayu Hitam
- North Sumatra Province
- Hathersage Transportation
- Nordkapp Transportation
- Port Townsend Transportation
- Travelling by Train
- Birmingham Transportation
- Habour Bus
- Terschelling Transportation
- Royal Leamington Spa Transportation
- Atyrau Transportation
- Bastia Transportation
- Esztergom Transportation
- By Taxi / By Petit Taxi / By Grand Taxi
Badges & Stats in Kodiak
- 23 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Kodiak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kodiak
- Posted in Travel Yakutat Forum "Re: day tour to hubbard glacier,"
- updated a Kodiak Travelogue "Silver Salmon Fishing"
- Commented on the End of the Road, Kodiak travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Very Walkable Downtown Area"
- Wrote a Review A Very Walkable Downtown Area in Kodiak Favorites
- Commented on one of mrclay2000's Kodiak travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (38)
Latest Kodiak hotel reviews