"The Emerald Isle" Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak by RickinDutch
Kodiak Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 464 photos
After almost 18 years in Unalaska (Dutch Harbor) we moved 600 miles closer to civilization. We love our new hometown. Scenic splendor, fishing, hiking, kayaking, ocean views around every corner, trees, fishing boats, rockets. Why there is even a Walmart to fill our American lust for consumer goods!
Kodiak is known for it's world class fishing and hunting. I'm not a hunter but I do like fishing and it is really an outstanding spot for sports fishing. The rivers run thick with salmon and ocean fishing for king salmon and halibut is excellent. We have the largest bear in North America, the Kodiak Brown Bear and they are huge.
When we're not fishing or playing golf, a favorite past time for us is driving out to the remote beaches, mostly south of town. With the rocket base 40 miles south of town came paved roads, so it really is a pleasant drive. After the small amount of roads available to us in unalaska, it seems a real luxury to hop in the car and go explore.
Kodiak may not be the biggest port for Horizon Lines, but we sure have the best offices. Here is the view from my office window. Ocean and mountains. Have lots of orcas and sea lions right outside my window. The occasional cruise ship comes and blocks my view for the day. I have to keep my back to the windows to get any work done!
This was the view my first day heading to work. Everywhere you look in Kodiak are similar breathtaking vistas.
- Pros:Stunning scenery, great fishing and hunting, warm and friendly locals.
- Cons:None so far
- In a nutshell:A wonderful Alaskan destination with all the benefits without the crowds.
I find Kodiak a very easy town to walk around - especially the downtown area. All the museums (Baranof, Alutiiq,... more travel advice
Kodiak is well known for great sportfishing. You can get on a charter boat for the day for about $250 each and fish the... more travel advice
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Kodiak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kodiak Alaska"
- "Kodiak Alaska -- My Home Town"
- "A Town Like Any Other Town, But With a Difference"
- "The Emerald Isle"
- "NORTH to ALASKA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kodiak
- Hotels in Kodiak
- Transportation in Kodiak
- Nightlife in Kodiak
- Restaurants in Kodiak
- Shopping in Kodiak
- Warnings and Dangers in Kodiak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kodiak
- 23 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (32)
Have you been to Kodiak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kodiak
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: Just a few questions"
- updated a Kodiak Travelogue "Silver Salmon Fishing"
- Commented on the End of the Road, Kodiak travel guide
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Very Walkable Downtown Area"
- Wrote a Review A Very Walkable Downtown Area in Kodiak Favorites
- Commented on one of mrclay2000's Kodiak travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos