"The Emerald Isle" Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak by RickinDutch

Kodiak Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 446 photos

We Moved to Kodiak in 2007

After almost 18 years in Unalaska (Dutch Harbor) we moved 600 miles closer to civilization. We love our new hometown. Scenic splendor, fishing, hiking, kayaking, ocean views around every corner, trees, fishing boats, rockets. Why there is even a Walmart to fill our American lust for consumer goods!

Kodiak is known for it's world class fishing and hunting. I'm not a hunter but I do like fishing and it is really an outstanding spot for sports fishing. The rivers run thick with salmon and ocean fishing for king salmon and halibut is excellent. We have the largest bear in North America, the Kodiak Brown Bear and they are huge.

When we're not fishing or playing golf, a favorite past time for us is driving out to the remote beaches, mostly south of town. With the rocket base 40 miles south of town came paved roads, so it really is a pleasant drive. After the small amount of roads available to us in unalaska, it seems a real luxury to hop in the car and go explore.

Office with a view

Kodiak may not be the biggest port for Horizon Lines, but we sure have the best offices. Here is the view from my office window. Ocean and mountains. Have lots of orcas and sea lions right outside my window. The occasional cruise ship comes and blocks my view for the day. I have to keep my back to the windows to get any work done!

Sunrise over Puffin Island

This was the view my first day heading to work. Everywhere you look in Kodiak are similar breathtaking vistas.

• Pros:Stunning scenery, great fishing and hunting, warm and friendly locals.
  • Cons:None so far
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful Alaskan destination with all the benefits without the crowds.
  • Intro Updated Aug 8, 2012

• staindesign's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Beautiful Alaska pages! I've never thought abt a trip there, but you have opened my eyes! Thanks, very lovely!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Thanks for visiting my DPRK page, really a unique visit! I'm getting ansty to just drop everything and explore Alaska with my Jeep, mtn bike, kayak & hiking boots.

• liliana91's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM

that sunrise is amazing.. Splendid photo!

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Great photos and interesting tips. Fancy the bears that don't even hibernate. Thanks

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM

With the wonderful window view you have-how do you get work done? You did a nice job of discussing the place and the museum sounds interesting.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Imagine running into a bear. That must be quite a nervous experience. Thanks for your great and very interesting tips ;-)

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2009 at 8:51 AM

I haven't seen a bear before. Honestly! Not even at a zoo.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 4:22 AM

When I was child I like see Alaska and now can see it . thanks for your VT page .

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Thank you very much, Rick! Wonderful pictures of Alaska :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2008 at 10:21 AM

A very scenic place! It's so pleasant to see the oldest Russian building in Alaska - the Baranov Museum as your the only TDD tip! Never knew about it - many thanks Rick for your very intreresting page.

RickinDutch Lives Here!

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Kodiak