"Juneau in Summer" Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau by RickinDutch

Juneau Travel Guide: 362 reviews and 881 photos

What a difference summer can make!

Been down to Juneau many times in the winter - during the legislative session. This was my second summer trip and again - Wow! Sunny 4 out of 5 days. 70 degrees and more every day. My daughter says it's rained every day since I left, tho :)

Only negative was the crowds downtown - whew! With 3 - 5 large cruise ships a day, just trying to walk on the sidewalk is a chore. Perhaps it was just the heat!

As the state capitol (for now, anyway) a lot of ammenities are in Juneau that you wouldn't expect for a midsized Alaskan town. Great restaurants, fun bars, local theater, great skiing, fishing, sailing, ferry accessibility, and stunning visuals everywhere you look make it my favorite place in Alaska. My hope is to retire here - just have to convince my wife that sun isn't that important :)

Whale watching worthwhile

Went out with Four Seasons Tours for 4 hours. Lots of humpbacks, sealions. Vessel much larger than their competitors - which made me feel safer! BBQ Salmon lunch at Orca Point Lodge was excellent!

Took the tram up Mt Roberts

On the one rainy day we had, we took the tram up Mt. Roberts. A bit spendy at $20 a piece, it was still worthwhile to get above the crowds and see the views. Restaurant wasn't bad - especially if you get a window seat.

• Pros:Lots to see and do - stunning scenery.
  • Cons:Downtown is very crowded when the ships are in & it's been known to rain once in a while.
  • In a nutshell:A small Alaskan town with big city amenities
  • Last visit to Juneau: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 15, 2010

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I always hear about this, and maybe one day can get up there to see all the beauty around and the sites in town. Good job and the family looks happy to see you

• firefly2010's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Posts are helpful. Be in Alaska in Aug.'10, cruising. Trying to find things to do w/o paying for excursions. What do you recommend for Haines, Juneau, Kechikan. Ports near the towns or do I need transp. Dreaming of this trip and want to do it right.

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2007 at 10:34 PM

One of my Pseudonyms before had Juneau as a surname. This is a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 2:13 PM

Had the Smoked Porter at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver but unfortunately it's seasonal so on my visit to the brewery it was not available. Good to see a local who knows his beer!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 5:37 AM

Enjoyed this page. Have been to Juneau to 3 times thanks soley to the availability of cruise ships. I enjoy Alaska more each time we visit. Great tip on St. Theresa's Shrine.

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2006 at 7:17 AM

Wonderful page, Rick. I never imagined Alaska could be so beautiful. Thanks also for your kind comment on my pages.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2006 at 6:00 AM

Excellent tips on what must be an amazing place to visit. The whale watching trip sounds fabulous - I've seen orcas but dream of a good look at a humpback breeching!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2006 at 2:51 PM

The gull photo is stunning. I can almost feel the spray on my face and smell the salt air.

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 6:13 PM

Very nice page love the Shelter Island Light House

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 9:48 PM

oh yes, I can tell....what a difference summer makes, can't wait

RickinDutch Visits Here Frequently!

RickinDutch

“Enough castles for today - where's the pub?”

Badges & Stats in Juneau