"Juneau in Summer" Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau by RickinDutch
Juneau Travel Guide: 362 reviews and 881 photos
Been down to Juneau many times in the winter - during the legislative session. This was my second summer trip and again - Wow! Sunny 4 out of 5 days. 70 degrees and more every day. My daughter says it's rained every day since I left, tho :)
Only negative was the crowds downtown - whew! With 3 - 5 large cruise ships a day, just trying to walk on the sidewalk is a chore. Perhaps it was just the heat!
As the state capitol (for now, anyway) a lot of ammenities are in Juneau that you wouldn't expect for a midsized Alaskan town. Great restaurants, fun bars, local theater, great skiing, fishing, sailing, ferry accessibility, and stunning visuals everywhere you look make it my favorite place in Alaska. My hope is to retire here - just have to convince my wife that sun isn't that important :)
Went out with Four Seasons Tours for 4 hours. Lots of humpbacks, sealions. Vessel much larger than their competitors - which made me feel safer! BBQ Salmon lunch at Orca Point Lodge was excellent!
On the one rainy day we had, we took the tram up Mt. Roberts. A bit spendy at $20 a piece, it was still worthwhile to get above the crowds and see the views. Restaurant wasn't bad - especially if you get a window seat.
- Pros:Lots to see and do - stunning scenery.
- Cons:Downtown is very crowded when the ships are in & it's been known to rain once in a while.
- In a nutshell:A small Alaskan town with big city amenities
I get asked a lot on what to do with a day in Juneau so here are some general tips. If you have an aversion to crowds... more travel advice
An nice easy hike from the parking lot to the sea along mainly flat terrain. About 4 miles round trip, although you... more travel advice
RickinDutch's Related Pages
Juneau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Independent Traveler's Guide to Juneau"
- "Juneau in Summer"
- "Juneau - Home of the Mendenhall Glacier."
- "Alaska Cruise - Juneau First Port Of Call"
- "Big State, Little Capitol"
- "Cruise Stop: Juneau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Juneau
- Hotels in Juneau
- Transportation in Juneau
- Nightlife in Juneau
- Restaurants in Juneau
- Shopping in Juneau
- Warnings and Dangers in Juneau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Juneau
- 21 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 40 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Juneau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Juneau
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Anchorage Intro, 59 reviews, 83 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dutch Harbor Intro, 44 reviews, 55 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (Big Island) Intro, 26 reviews, 65 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 23 reviews, 66 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Juneau Intro, 21 reviews, 60 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dingle Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Haines Intro, 9 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Girdwood Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kolkata (Calcutta) Intro, 10 reviews, 16 photos